Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the Sniper Coil Driver for?

Not that I know of. It's for the Sniper EFI.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Not that I know of. It's for the Sniper EFI.
    Danny is absolutely correct. That said, I believe that the 556-150 coil driver module will allow you to run a Holley DSD in a Terminator (or HP, or Dominator) setup without an MSD CD box. PERSONAL HYPOTHESIS HERE - VERIFY BEFORE YOU TRY THIS!

Both the Terminator and the Sniper provide a points output. In a standard ignition, the closed points ground the ignition Coil (-), firing the spark. Likewise, the points output on the Sniper and Terminator are one of two ways to tell the ignition to fire the coil (and to thereby do ECU control of ignition timing.)

However, grounding Coil (-) to your ECU is a very bad idea. Hence the 556-150 coil driver module. The points output from the Sniper triggers the coil driver module to sink the current from the Coil (-), firing the ignition without damaging the ECU.

I suspect the 565-150 would work no less effectively on the Terminator than it would the on the Sniper. Until someone more qualified to elevate this from theory to fact comes along to do so, I'd recommend contact Holley Tech Service before trying.
    Chris Myer
    800-880-0960 x654
    chris@EFISystemPro.com

Check our www.EFISystemPro.com website for live stock status on
    all Holley items, including the full line of Holley HyperSpark Distributors!

Thanks for the input Chris. Let's see if we can have any more opinions if this would work or not.

Quote Originally Posted by lovebohn View Post
    Let's see if we can have any more opinions if this would work or not.
    I just heard back from a Holley EFI Engineer. Yes, the Coil Driver Module can be used with other Holley EFI systems as well, as long as it's triggered by the loose Points Output white wire. Holley will eventually be selling a coil driver module separately for this purpose.

UPDATE: Holley 556-150 Coil Driver Module

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    I just heard back from a Holley EFI Engineer. Yes, the Coil Driver Module can be used with other Holley EFI systems as well, as long as it's triggered by the loose Points Output white wire. Holley will eventually be selling a coil driver module separately for this purpose.
    Thanks so much for confirming that, Danny! :-D
    Chris Myer
    800-880-0960 x654
    chris@EFISystemPro.com

Check our www.EFISystemPro.com website for live stock status on
    all Holley items, including the full line of Holley HyperSpark Distributors!

I believe the following to be true. Possibly a Holley employee with verify this:

The Points Output signal from the EFI harness alternates between GROUND & OPEN. This is the same type of signal used to drive a direct-drive coil. But the problem is when the signal from the EFI harness goes to ground it can only sink maybe 200 ma of current. In order use a direct-drive coil with it, it has to be able to sink (14.3V/6 Ohms = 2.4 amps). The 6 Ohms is the ballast resistor. This much current will "toast" the EFI internal circuit if a coil is connected directly to it? This is where the Coil Driver thing comes into play. It's acting like a relay. The nature of the output signal from the Coil Driver thing is still alternating between OPEN & Ground, but when it goes to ground and current flows through it, it can handle much more current. Possibly upwards around 6 amps since most electronic devices are over-built by 1.5 times or so. I arrived at all of this after looking at the operation of how an old-style points distributor operated, along with a direct-drive coil, and the nature of the signals of the system.

Hopefully more information about the coil driver will appear. Where's a good place to mount it? I recall reading somewhere that short wires are good. Also, I read somewhere that the coil driver does have 7 amps output. Holley probably won't publicly disclose too much engineering information, as devices like this will make other older products obsolete. But as Danny said, this coil driver will be eventually be sold separately.

Anymore updates on this? I bought one and I'm in the process of connecting it to my Terminator ECU & SS Blaster coil. I was hoping to use the +12V feed from the stock coil wire to also work as the Switched +12V feed off the coil driver. Any reason this would not work? Any thoughts if powering the coil driver by the coil will cause problems?

The ignition coil doesn't seem like a "clean" power source.

I created my own clean +12V switched power by using a relay. I trigger the relay with +12V switched power from my fuse box, and run 10/12 gauge wire directly from my battery (along with a 14 gauge fusible link) to supply the power. I mounted one of these to my firewall for all of my switched power: http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/cn-1.shtml

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast