Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the Sniper Coil Driver for?

Default What is the Sniper Coil Driver for?

I'm still in the process installing my Sniper EFI, but I do plan on eventually adding the Holley Dual Sync Distributor to control timing. I read in another thread about using the coil driver, but then I read somewhere else where the coil driver is only needed on Ford or Chrysler coils. Can someone give me a quick explanation of what the coil driver is used for?

The Holley 556-150 ignition coil driver is for ECU controlled timing with the Sniper EFI.
    http://www.holleyinjection.com/holle...tallation-tips (HolleyInjection.com Sniper EFI Information)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Actually, before I wrote the post you linked above, I was completely bewildered by this module. Other than a mention in the parts listing and another reference in the pin-out of the 10-pin connector, you can't find anything on it in the instructions. Then I read a little more closely, and you will see that it's shown in the wiring diagrams on pages 18 & 23, showing how to do ECU-controlled timing using either the MSD or the Holley Dual-Sync Distributor. Straight-forward at that point! :-)
    Chris Myer
    800-880-0960 x654
    chris@EFISystemPro.com

Check our website for live stock status on all Holley items!
    www.EFISystemPro.com, including a the
    full line of Holley HyperSpark Distributors!

Just an FYI: You do not use the Coil Driver with an MSD CD ignition box. The Coil Driver enables you to use it, in it's place.

Yes, because the CD ignition box is the coil driver. Thanks, I should've mentioned this in post #2.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I'll take a look at the instructions. I'm not at that point just yet, but hopefully will be before too long. I don't have an MSD box installed (have one sitting on the shelf though), so I'll probably just use the coil driver from the kit.

Any reason this part will not work on the Terminator EFI with the Holley Dual Sync, and eliminate the MSD 6? If not, Holley needs to get this part on the market now.

And can the coil driver be setup for non ECU timing control?

http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Instruction Manual - "No Timing Control", Pages 13 & 14)

Will the coil driver from the Sniper work in a Terminator setup?