Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stalling issue after enabling timing control with Sniper.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
    Could either of you provide a picture of this coil driver?
    Click on "Larger Image" below. The Coil Driver Module is in the center of the picture.
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-510 (Holley Sniper EFI Kit)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
    Is it a standard component in the base Sniper Kit?
    Yes, it was included in the box. The Sniper Kit is very complete.

Thank you! That's good to know. Always nice to knock several hundred bucks off the projected cost of the swap.

No doubt. I checked the rotor phasing today. I had to move the rotor 10° to get it to be perfectly in line with #1 cap post at 42°.
    Timing readout on handheld exactly matches balancer with pretty much zero deviation.

In the end, my Reference Angle is set at 62°.
    Base timing at 30°.
    Cruise timing at 52°.
    WOT timing at 44°.
    The Inductive Delay ended up at 340.0 usec. To keep the WOT timing steady with no creep advanced or retarded. Thanks again for the help.

And in post #3, you questioned my reading comprehension because I advised you to ensure the ignition timing was fully synchronized.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    And in post #3, you questioned my reading comprehension because I advised you to ensure the ignition timing was fully synchronized.
    Not really, I (posted that I) set my timing EXACTLY how the HOLLEY VIDEO said to, which BTW is far from 100% complete & accurate. Then you told me to verify my timing? Or, post links for me or whomever to dig through. Do you know how hard it is to try and navigate through a PDF file, from a phone?

I do not understand why the manual really says nothing regarding dialing in the timing. It shows how to lock out an MSD distributor, which MSD already explains how to do in their manual. And that's it? There is absolutely no mention anywhere in the video, the instruction manual, or in most of these threads, regarding "synchronizing" and/or "correcting" both the Reference Angle, and the Inductive Delay for each individual application. In fact, the instruction manual (Pages 27-28) very clearly says the opposite, as if it isn't needed, which was why myself, and probably the majority of others who are confused about when trying to do what should be a simple task.

Not to mention the video says check static timing against balancer at 10° (and you're done, which you clearly aren't DONE), then it is suggested to sync @ 30°, or @ 50°. There's absolutely no mention of TURNING OFF any idle adders either.

REFERENCE ANGLE:

Only shown if Magnetic or Dual sync is selected. This is the value in crank degrees of the distributor's
    crank pulse. These values are preset in the base calibrations and should not need to be adjusted.

INDUCTIVE DELAY:

Use this value to sync timing at higher RPMs. These are preset in the base calibrations and should not need to be adjusted.

So, the Holley Sniper manual clearly says that two pretty important parameters for synchronizing your timing, should NOT need to be adjusted. That's 99% the reason of why I had difficulty trying to figure out what was happening, and why it (my car) just wasn't "right".

If the Holley Sniper EFI "REQUIRES" the REFERENCE ANGLE & INDUCTIVE DELAY (which it does) to be configured, in order to allow accurate syncing of ECU and distributor, then somewhere, ANYWHERE, this should be mentioned. Whether it be a "STICKY" at the top of this sub-forum, or at the end of the 2 pages of distributor lock-out details. It would save you a lot of reposting of links, and end a lot of confusion IMHO.

At the end of the lock out section, it would greatly help to have a simple addition stating that, after car is running w/timing control.
    1. You NEED to set Reference Angle 10° higher than your highest timing setting.
    2. You NEED to check timing sync at various RPM, and adjust Inductive Delay until timing fluctuations are eliminated.
    3. You NEED to adjust rotor phasing to a midway point between highest and lowest commanded timing for best overall spark.
    BOOM, DONE...simple...just saved you an hour a day from answering the same questions over and over, LOL.

We shouldn't have to Google ourselves silly trying to find this stuff out elsewhere.

I found out how to do the process from spending several hours of my 4 day weekend reading info all over the internet, from competitor's instruction manuals, and piecing it together, for the most part, before it actually made sense. It's almost irritating that this sub-forum and Holley's own manual and video made it 10X more confusing that it should have been.

Regardless, I never questioned your reading comprehension. I assumed you just read through what I said, and simply missed it. But it's running great now, and I appreciate the effort you used to push me in the right direction. Thanks again.

I understand your points, and agree the Sniper EFI instruction manual needs to be rewritten (in reference to timing synchronization). In fact, I've contact Holley a few times about things that need to be addressed. Remember, I didn't write any of the Holley documents...I just know "how" to do things.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    I understand your points, and agree the Sniper EFI instruction manual needs to be rewritten (in reference to timing synchronization). In fact, I've contact Holley a few times about things that need to be addressed. Remember, I didn't write any of the Holley documents...I just know "how" to do things.
    I know, and I fully understand. I hoped not to seem like a whiner/complainer...I know you can only do so much.

Your last sentence is key, though. You know how to do this, but many of us do not, or just never have had to do it. And when the actual manual kind of leaves you hanging, it gets frustrating. There's just so much conflicting info out there, it sure doesn't make it any easier.

I'll be bugging you guys soon, with nitrous activation, timing retard, and related questions soon enough. Just be forewarned, LOL. Still patiently waiting for the software & CAN adapter to be formally released. Have a great day.

I agree though, on the incompleteness of the instructions. Even reading it through several times, left me with many questions on how it works. They do walk you through things well enough to get everything "in" without much problem, but there really isn't much direction on how to actually "set it up", whether it's the software side or how to go back & check physical marks against the computer. The information IS out there, but like rel3rd, I've spent lots of time piecing bits of info from many instruction manuals and videos on the subject, in order to have a good understanding of not only what to do, but how to do it.

I also understand that the Sniper EFI kit is intended for new users and is meant to be kept simple. But I feel even at that, there was a lot of good information and final steps that were left out. I do like the video provided by Holley, I felt like that showed many of the steps I felt that were missing from the instructions. I would like to see them do a similar video with an MSD distributor too, as well as a better walk-through of the final tweaking needed (on software AND hardware) and checking the engine timing vs the computer timing. Something like this would eliminate many of the questions I've had about this system.

Here's a video of setting up an MSD distributor for timing control on the Sniper EFI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owUH...ature=youtu.be. It takes a few steps with the timing light. Shining the timing light into the hole in the distributor cap verifies perfect timing & rotor phasing. Holley suggests setting up the Sniper initially, without timing control to simplify troubleshooting.
    Last edited by 351C Sniper; 11-30-2016 at 06:49 PM.