Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalling issue after enabling timing control with Sniper.

So, with my BASE TIMING choice of 33°, CRUISE TIMING of 52°, and TOTAL WOT TIMING of 44°, 50° is still what I want as an Ignition Reference Angle?
    Right now, I know the car is locked out and set to 44°. Can I use that as my "timing check number"? And then reinstall the adjustable rotor to get the phasing correct?

Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    So, with my BASE TIMING choice of 33°, CRUISE TIMING of 52°, and TOTAL WOT TIMING of 44°, 50° is still what I want as an Ignition Reference Angle?
    44° + 10° = 54° Ignition Reference Angle.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...1313#post81313 (Additional Sniper EFI Timing Control Info)

Right now, I know the car is locked out and set to 44°. Can I use that as my "timing check number"?
    If you're referring to the Static Timing Set, it can be any value from your Base Timing Table.

And then reinstall the adjustable rotor to get the phasing correct?
    Yes.

But I'm 99% sure, my handheld's reference angle is preset at 40.
    There is an ignition "Reference Angle" parameter on the Sniper 3.5" LCD Touchscreen unit.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Instruction Manual - Ignition Setup, Page 27)
    http://documents.holley.com/199r11193.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Quick Start Manual - Step 8, 9 & 10, Page 9)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Here's my handheld's factory default settings, which now confirmed, are nowhere near where they should be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	handheld screen (640x488).jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	1931

My question about the 44° timing check/comparison is in reference to me knowing 100% that's what my timing is set at right now. Thinking about it, all weekend, I recall the timing check at 10°, using the Static Timing feature, it was NOT a steady reading it was moving 1 or 2 degrees sweep on either side of the 10° mark on my balancer. At 44°, or whatever I choose with timing control OFF, it's like it should be, which is exactly on 44°, and zero fluctuation. Hopefully, I'm making sense?

Here's my handheld's factory default settings, which now confirmed, are nowhere near where they should be.
    So does the engine run properly with the correct settings? You'll have to contact Holley Tech Service (LINK) for any unknown Ignition Setup settings.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    So does the engine run properly with the correct settings? You'll have to contact Holley Tech Service (LINK) for any unknown Ignition Setup settings.
    Won't know until after work. I just opened up the above screen, just so you could see what everything was set at, as is, and untouched.

The most confusing thing of all this, is that the car ran great, then after 1/2 hour or so, started randomly dying, or almost dying, with no pattern to when, why, or how. I have it now setup to quickly just unplug & reconnect the necessary wires, until this is figured out.

OK Danny, switched everything back to TIMING CONTROL.
    Used 62° as my Reference Angle, since I run 52° at cruise.

Checked ECU STATIC TIMING against harmonic balancer, at 38°, since I had a nice paint mark there, and tweaked the distributor housing slightly to match. Then turned off static timing, set all timing modes to 44°, for uniformity, and checked at roughly 3500 RPM. It was slightly off, so I added to the INDUCTIVE DELAY a few times, until it matched, changed timing in ECU, to what I'll be running, which is 35° idle, 52° cruise, 44° WOT. Idle was all over I guess due to other ECU controlled factors, but it matches dead on 52°, at cruise RPM off 3000 or so.

What's odd, is that it seemed to have ran best with adjustable rotor at ZERO. My buddy has a MSD distributor cap, with a hole in #1 already, so since my cap was fairly new, I'll borrow his and check phasing. Did take it for a drive, and car ran great. No pops, backfires, stalls, at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	handheld2 (640x391).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	1932  
    Last edited by rel3rd; 11-28-2016 at 04:36 PM.

Idle was all over I guess due to other ECU controlled factors...
    Yes, that's the Idle Spark control function. You're supposed to temporarily disable it when synchronizing the ignition timing.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Instruction Manual - Idle Spark Enable/Disable, Page 31)

What's odd, is that it seemed to have ran best with adjustable rotor at ZERO. My buddy has a MSD distributor cap, with a hole in #1 already, so since my cap was fairly new, I'll borrow his and check phasing.
    Yes, check & adjust rotor phasing as I mentioned in this LINK.

Did take it for a drive, and car ran great. No pops, backfires, stalls, at all.
    So all is well now, with ECU controlled timing. Congratulations!

Seems to be. I'll be checking rotor phasing ASAP, and hope all is well. Thanks for the help & links.

Thanks for the help & links.
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by caverman View Post
    Is the coil driver the little small box with wires on both sides that came in the Sniper Kit? I didn't see anywhere in the instructions where to use it. A quick search on the internet, and is says something about using it for a dumb coil driver on a Ford or Chrysler. I have a Chevy small block, so I'm assuming I wouldn't need it?
    Could either of you provide a picture of this coil driver? I noted that Holley mentioned this in the setup instructions, but aside from that I haven't been able to find any information on this part. Is it a standard component in the base Sniper Kit? If so, this would save on costs from purchasing a 6A CD box.