Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalling issue after enabling timing control with Sniper.

Default Stalling issue after enabling timing control with Sniper.

So my car was starting, idling, driving, great since swapping on the Sniper EFI. Decided since I will be adding nitrous over the winter, that I'd go ahead and convert my MSD distributor to being locked out.

Did the necessary wiring changes, and reconfigured the tune to allow Sniper ECU to control timing. Car fired up and after warming up, I verified the 10° static timing matched the 10° mark in my balancer, then set my initial timing at 33°, cruise at 52°, and WOT timing at 44°, which is where my car runs its best, and should closely mimic my previous timing setup. Car was super responsive and I assumed all was good.

Took it for test drive today and had several instances of the engine randomly stalling out.

When it died, I noticed a red light in upper right corner of handheld, and would have to hold gas pedal down yo get but to restart. Quite a few times, if it fluttered but didn't actually die, it would act as if it was freshly restarted, so it would say Open Loop, and have the higher start idle for a few seconds, almost as if the power had been interrupted and reconnected.

It seemed to be running fine if cruising at steady RPM/speed, and had no problem quickly revving up to 6000+ RPM if I chose to.

I double checked all connections, but it looks like there is only two things changed when going from standard Sniper/MSD conventional timing, to Sniper EFI controlled timing. Anybody have any suggestions on where to look, what to look for?

Tomorrow I was thinking about switching the wiring back to how it was, swap my old rotor on, and run the car locked out at 44° like I used to, just to confirm there isn't a sudden distributor problem, but I'm at wits end if that doesn't confirm anything.
    Last edited by rel3rd; 11-25-2016 at 07:31 PM.

Ensure the ignition timing is fully synchronized with the ECU/TSLCD.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....allation-Video (Sniper EFI/MSD Distributor Installation Video)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owUH...ature=youtu.be (Sniper EFI/MSD Distributor Installation Video)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

"Car fired up and after warming up, I verified the 10° static timing matched the 10° mark in my balancer..."
    Thanks, I mentioned that in original post. It truly seems/sounds like the power is turned off for a second.

Last edited by RaceFink; 11-26-2016 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceFink View Post
    Did you have car running on Sniper EFI BEFORE using the timing control? I've been using the MSD Blaster S/S coil for 3 years now, and it had been working great with the Holley Sniper EFI, and nearly a year with a FiTech EFI setup. But have only ran the EFI, never tried the timing control until 3 days ago.

Just to update. Didn't think it would, new coil made no difference whatsoever.
    So, I disconnected the white wire from the 10-pin Holley harness, to the MSD box (#6425) points trigger (also a white wire).
    I also unplugged the 2 wire (purple/green) harness from the 7-pin Holley harness & MSD distributor.

Reconnected the single purple wire back to the MSD's gray tach, or "trigger" wire.
    Reconnected 2-wire (purple/green) harness to the MSD box, and MSD distributor.
    Swapped back on the non-adjustable rotor, and made the tune change back to CD ignition box as the ignition source.

Since timing is now locked, I started car and set timing to my chosen 44°, and car is back to running great again.
    No flutters, no stalls, no issues whatsoever.

This really sucks, since I wanted to have the Holley ECU control my engine's timing, and near future nitrous activation.
    Any ideas, suggestions, would be appreciated.

Also, distributor/rotor phasing was done EXACTLY how this Holley video said to do it: https://youtu.be/S2zfmemVKQE
    Last edited by rel3rd; 11-26-2016 at 03:53 PM.

We had two issues. The MSD HVC coil and the MSD 6AL box.

After we replaced the coil and got back to mechanical advance, and used the Tach signal from MSD box as signal, engine run good. But on WOT, no power and Sniper EFI got too lean condition. Then we replaced the MSD box with the coil driver that comes with the Sniper EFI, all was perfect. Then we change back to Sniper EFI controlled ignition and it runs smooth like never before. Next install, I'll install new coil and the coil driver that comes with the Sniper EFI the first time.

Is the coil driver the little small box with wires on both sides that came in the Sniper Kit? I didn't see anywhere in the instructions where to use it. A quick search on the internet, and is says something about using it for a dumb coil driver on a Ford or Chrysler. I have a Chevy small block, so I'm assuming I wouldn't need it?

I have the MSD #6425 Digital 6AL, and the Blaster SS coil. Both work perfectly with the Holley Sniper and no timing control. Both also worked perfectly, for 10 months, with a FiTech EFI setup. I was reading on another thread, about a 50° "Reference Angle", and that this angle should be 10° higher than highest timing commanded. My car runs best at 44° total, which obviously is not 10 less than 50. But I'm 99% sure, my handheld's reference angle is preset at 40. There's also an offset for higher RPM that who knows is right or wrong, as there is no mention of either of these things anywhere in the Sniper instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    I was reading on another thread, about a 50° "Reference Angle", and that this angle should be 10° higher than highest timing commanded.
    The Ignition Reference Angle needs to be at least 10° higher than the maximum amount of timing used in the Base Timing Table.
    I'm not absolutely sure if this also applies to the Sniper EFI, but I'd do it, because it applies to every other Holley EFI system.

My car runs best at 44° total, which obviously is not 10 less than 50. But I'm 99% sure, my handheld's reference angle is preset at 40.
    I think your Ignition Reference should be 50°, not 40° (LINK). I don't think your Ignition Parameter settings are correct for ECU timing control.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast