Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help ASAP please!

Danny first off, thank you for your help!!!
    Now I have a very good question for you.

Before we installed the MSD and the crank trigger, the Nissan VG30 V6 was powered with the Holley C950 and a modified Nissan distributor with GM V6 internals, including the reluctor wheel, the pickup coil and GM 8-pin ignition module. The whole system worked great, except that the distributor modification wasn't exactly perfectly done and we were having timing issues. That's when we decided to go with the crank trigger setup.

OK, here goes the question...(sound of drummer). Since the pickup coil (Hall-Effect sensor) and reluctor wheel (trigger wheel) are basically a miniature crank trigger setup, can I just wire the three (3) wire Holley 554-124 Hall-Effect sensor into my GM 8-pin ignition module, and run the program as GM HEI Coil Distributor in the engine parameters and without the MSD? I guess that the three wire Holley Hall-Effect sensor would connected like this: Red to ignition +12V power, black to the negative side of the ignition module, and white to the signal of the ignition module in-signal. Would that be correct, or am I just day dreaming?

Quote Originally Posted by bbsdesigns View Post
    Since the pickup coil (Hall-Effect sensor) and reluctor wheel (trigger wheel) are basically a miniature crank trigger setup, can I just wire the three (3) wire Holley 554-124 Hall-Effect sensor into my GM 8-pin ignition module, and run the program as GM HEI Coil Distributor in the engine parameters and without the MSD?
    The "Hall-Effect" Ignition Type selection in Engine Parameters, won't work with a GM computer controlled timing (7 or 8-pin) ignition module. It's one or the other, not both.
    If you install the Hall-Effect sensor into your Nissan distributor, and it has a six tooth (6 cyl) ferrous trigger wheel, then you don't need the troublesome GM 8-pin ignition module at all. I mentioned this in posts #6 & #10.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_r10149-7.pdf (Holley Commander 950 Pro EFI Manual - Figure 84, Page 109) Substitute Crank Trigger with distributor.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Danny, sorry to be so misunderstanding. But the way I see it, is that I want to delete the MSD out of the question and use the GM 8-pin ignition module to ignite the coil.
    Is there a way to use the Holley 554-124 Hall-Effect sensor to signal the GM 8-pin without the MSD?
    I understand that the Hall-Effect makes a square wave signal, and that the GM 8-pin module is designed to receive a AC signal wave from the distributor's reluctor wheel & pickup point coil.
    Could the Hall-Effect 3-wire sensor be wired somehow to the GM 8-pin or to the Holley Commander 950?
    I have read the Commander's manual several times, and yes it said that it can support Hall-Effect & Inductive, but it's too vague for what I need. Hope you understand me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bbsdesigns View Post
    But the way I see it, is that I want to delete the MSD out of the question and use the GM 8-pin ignition module to ignite the coil.
    Notes: The MSD that was installed is a working used unit we bought. The problems with the Holley ECU are showing now with the crank trigger setup & MSD.
    Since you were having timing control problems, I'd eliminate the GM 8-pin ignition module.
    It's usually the problem, not the MSD CD ignition box (which you stated is a good "working used unit").

Is there a way to use the Holley 554-124 Hall-Effect sensor to signal the GM 8-pin without the MSD?
    No, because the GM 8-pin ignition module receives its signal from a VR magnetic (inductive) sensor, not a Hall-Effect sensor.

I understand that the Hall-Effect makes a square wave signal, and that the GM 8-pin module is designed to receive a AC signal wave from the distributor's reluctor wheel & pickup point coil.
    Yes, this is precisely why a Hall-Effect sensor is incompatible with the GM 8-pin ignition module.

Could the Hall-Effect 3-wire sensor be wired somehow to the GM 8-pin or to the Holley Commander 950?
    Again, not to the GM 8-pin ignition module. A Hall-Effect sensor will work on it's own. I already answered this in post #22.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Many thanks for all youre help!!!

You're welcome.