Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help ASAP please!

No it's OK, I can have any wheel cut to any size & style. I have access to a laser and water jet cutter. The reason I said it, is that I looked & searched everywhere and since I didn't saw anything like that. I thought it was not possible to use a Hall-Effect and ferrous wheel of only a few teeth.

So just to be clear, the computer will tell the MSD 6A to fire the ignition coil every time the Hall-Effect sensor detects a tooth, right? And since the distributor turns just 1/2 for each crankshaft turn, each tooth of the three (3) toothed trigger wheel will fire six (6) times every two complete crankshaft rotations, completing the four (4) cycles of each of the 6 cylinders, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by bbsdesigns View Post
    So just to be clear, the computer will tell the MSD 6A to fire the ignition coil every time the Hall-Effect sensor detects a tooth, right? And since the distributor turns just 1/2 for each crankshaft turn, each tooth of the three (3) toothed trigger wheel will fire six (6) times every two complete crankshaft rotations, completing the four (4) cycles of each of the 6 cylinders, correct?
    Yes & yes.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Thanks Danny. One more question, and hopefully the last. Since the trigger wheel will only have three (3) teeth, does it necessarily have to be a circular/round shape trigger with the three (3) teeth, or can I make a three legged rotating triangular shaped trigger wheel, like a "Y". Example below? Again, many thanks!

Last edited by bbsdesigns; 11-28-2016 at 07:08 AM.

I personally wouldn't do that for durability/bending reasons. Also, I wouldn't make the teeth a sharp point. I prefer definitive Digital Rising & Digital Falling edges.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

OK, I took one 30-1 trigger wheel and cut all the teeth except 3 tooth separated at 120 degrees from each other. Car fired up! But I'm now encountering these weird problems:
    The car starts & runs perfectly, but for no apparent reason it suddenly begins to have the following symptoms; misfire, won't accelerate & rough idle.
    I checked everything, and did not find any problems. After a while with the engine off, the car will start normally.
    Also, if I shut off the engine and resend the data to the ECU, it cures the problem momentarily until it does it again. Could be minutes 5-45 minutes maybe.

I replaced the Holley Commander 950 ECU that was giving me problems just to check and it "solved" the problem. But the replacement ECU won't let me make any changes in the Fuel nor the Spark Map. The only changes the program let me do are in the lowest row of the Fuel & Spark Map. Why? Does it has to do something with the software version? Why does the other computer suddenly begin to misfire & malfunction? Does it has to do something with the "new" parts installed (MSD 6A & trigger setup)? Please help, this is becoming very frustrating. Race weekend is just around the corner.

Notes: The MSD that was installed is a working used unit we bought. The problems with the Holley ECU are showing now with the crank trigger setup & MSD. We have an aftermarket tach connected to the MSD's wire that connects to the negative side of the coil. When the problem first appeared, the tach stopped working and has stopped working ever since. Even when the problem is gone with the temporary "cure" we do (shutting off the engine/resend the data to ECU). The MSD is getting warm and making a buzzing like noise/sound, is that normal? The MSD is a 6A model 6200, and I think it's not "Digital" type, does it matter if it's not a Digital ignition box?
    Last edited by bbsdesigns; 11-29-2016 at 10:13 PM.

OK, I took one 30-1 trigger wheel and cut all the teeth except 3 tooth separated at 120 degrees from each other. Car fired up!
    That's good news.

The car starts & runs perfectly, but for no apparent reason it suddenly begins to have the following symptoms; misfire, won't accelerate & rough idle.
    This seems like the Fuel Map needs to be tuned. Also, ensure the ignition timing is synchronized with the ECU.
    http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...?post/2236964/ (C950 Fuel Map Tuning Procedure)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....2773#post12773 (Additional Fuel Map Tuning Tip)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....6662#post26662 (Ignition Timing Synchronization)

Also, which Wideband O2 Kit are you using? I highly suggest Holley's own 534-197 WBO2 sensor kit; it's "plug & play" with the C950 harness.

But the replacement ECU won't let me make any changes in the Fuel nor the Spark Map. The only changes the program let me do are in the lowest row of the Fuel & Spark Map. Why? Does it has to do something with the software version?
    Check that your software version is compatible with your firmware version:
    1.xx = 1.xx
    2.xx = 2.xx
    3.xx = 3.xx
    The latest C950 EFI software version is 3.0.7, and the ECU firmware is 3.6.
    Click on the About & Version tab (with the key-on) to find your current software & firmware versions.
    Download the latest software here: https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection
    Holley Commander 950 Pro EFI Manual: http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...99R10149-7.pdf

We have an aftermarket tach connected to the MSD's wire that connects to the negative side of the coil.
    Why isn't the tachometer connected to the CD ignition box Tach Out terminal (on the side of the CDI box), or the separate gray tachometer wire (newer model CDI box)?

The MSD is getting warm and making a buzzing like noise/sound, is that normal?
    That doesn't seem normal to me.

The MSD is a 6A model 6200, and I think it's not "Digital" type, does it matter if it's not a Digital ignition box?
    No, it doesn't have to be a Digital CD ignition box.

OK. We don't have a wideband O2 sensor, and the program is setup for Open Loop only (it's a race car).

I'm going to check the MSD body for a jack/terminal on the side.

The two C950s, one is firmware 3.0 (original) the other is unknown.
    The unknown firmware 950 ECU (replacement) does not gives us any trouble or problems with the sudden misfire, lack of power, etc.
    But it doesn't allow us to make any changes to the Fuel Map nor the Spark Map. It only lets us work on first row of each map making tuning impossible.

The 3.0 firmware ECU (original) will allow us the full use of the Fuel & Spark Maps. But again, the engine starts to misfire & lacks power after 5-45 minutes of use.
    The problem occurs suddenly and with no apparent reason. The problem is "cured" after the engine has been shutdown for a while or if the data is resent to the ECU.
    Could it be that somehow the data is getting corrupt after a while? This is so weird and so much frustrating. We are considering moving on with another engine management unit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V__26D8.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	1933

OK. We don't have a wideband O2 sensor...
    Then how are you tuning the C950 Fuel Map?

...and the program is setup for Open Loop only (it's a race car).
    Just because it's a race car, doesn't mean it shouldn't use a WBO2 sensor.

But it doesn't allow us to make any changes to the Fuel Map nor the Spark Map. It only lets us work on first row of each map making tuning impossible.
    It's probably an earlier C950 ECU that hasn't been updated to the latest version.

This is so weird and so much frustrating. We are considering moving on with another engine management unit.
    Yeah, I wouldn't be using that antiquated EFI system on a race car. Consider updating to a Holley EFI HP ECU & Harness Kit (LINK & LINK).

We are tuning on a dyno. How can the ECU be updated? Thanks.

How can the ECU be updated?
    A Commander 950 ECU must be sent into Holley to be updated.
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/534-191 (Holley Commander 950 Pro EFI Software/ECU Firmware Upgrade)
    FYI: All current Holley EFI systems can be updated entirely by the end user.