Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help ASAP please!

Default Need help ASAP please!

On December 10th, my brother & I will attend a Chin Motorsports event in Seabring, but I'm still trying to figure out why the crank trigger setup isn't working.

This is what we have:
    A VG30 Nissan V6 with a Holley Commander 950 that is working properly with a modified distributor with reluctor wheel & points trigger.
    Everything was working perfectly. We wanted to change to a crank trigger because the modified Nissan/GM distributor was not consistent.

We now changed our setup to a Holley Hall-Effect magnetic sensor with ferrous crank trigger wheel.
    The sensor is setup at .060" from the wheel (max is .080" & min is .040"). I have 62-2, 36-1, 30-1 & 18-1 wheels and nothing is working.
    The wiring to the MSD 6A is done correctly, the Engine Parameters are setup to Hall-Effect & 60° Ignition Reference Angle.
    I have setup the engine in TDC and have phased the distributor. I have check for spark and there is spark.
    I have setup the wheels in various locations almost turning them (tried with all the wheels), and nothing.

At one point the engine fired up when the Ignition Reference Angle was at 10°, and started up rapidly and with perfect idle.
    But when we tried to further more fine tune and moved the trigger wheel's position, and corrected
    the ignition reference position (I noticed that it was reading on the right side of the map), no more.

PLEASE, I NEED HELP!!! TIME IS RUNNING OUT AND IS VERY FRUSTRATING.

Quote Originally Posted by bbsdesigns View Post
    I have 62-2, 36-1, 30-1 & 18-1 wheels and nothing is working.
    The Holley Commander 950 is only compatible with a 2x, 3x, 4x crank trigger kit (such as an MSD Flying Magnet crank trigger kit).
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_r10149-7.pdf (Holley Commander 950 Pro EFI Manual - Figure 84, Page 109)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Thanks for your response!!! But I have a question. In the manual, it specifies the installation of the 3-wire Hall-Effect sensor. Isn't that the sensor for ferrous target?

In the manual, it specifies the installation of the 3-wire Hall-Effect sensor. Isn't that the sensor for ferrous target?
    Yes, a 2x, 3x, 4x ferrous target. (Or you should be able to use Holley's 554-118 Hall-Effect crank sensor with an MSD Flying Magnet crank trigger kit.)

At one point the engine fired up when the Ignition Reference Angle was at 10°, and started up rapidly and with perfect idle. But when we tried to further more fine tune and moved the trigger wheel's position, and corrected the ignition reference position (I noticed that it was reading on the right side of the map), no more.
    Ignition Reference – This angle corresponds to the position of the ignition-triggering device in crankshaft degrees. The following are guidelines for different ignition systems:
    GM HEI – Set to 10
    Ford TFI – Set to 10
    Crank Trigger & Hall Effect – Set (at least) 10° HIGHER than the maximum amount of timing set in the Main Spark Map. For example, if you will have a maximum timing of 42°, set the
    Ignition Reference to 52°, and align the crank sensor with the magnet at 52° Before Top Dead Center. When I used the C950, I set my Ignition Reference (Hall-Effect distributor) to 60°.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Yes, a 2x, 3x, 4x ferrous target. (Or you should be able to use Holley's 554-118 Hall-Effect crank sensor with an MSD Flying Magnet crank trigger kit.)
    Does this mean I can have cut a custom 4 tooth 1/4" thick steel ferrous trigger wheel, and use it?
    I have the Holley 554-124 Hall-Effect 3-wire crank sensor for ferrous targets.
    Sorry if I sound like an idiot, it's just this is my first crank trigger setup install.
    BTW: THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE HELP!!!

Does this mean I can have cut a custom 4 tooth 1/4" thick steel ferrous trigger wheel, and use it?
    Yes, as stated in the Commander 950 Pro EFI Manual (page 20 & 25):
    "Crank Trigger CD Ignition Systems – The Commander 950 Pro EFI can control the timing on any
    engine that uses a crank trigger (Magnetic or Hall-Effect) and a capacitive discharge ignition box."

"Inductive Pickup – Use with a magnetic pickup crank trigger.
    Hall Effect – Use with a Hall Effect crank trigger of Hall Effect Distributor."

I have the Holley 554-124 Hall-Effect 3-wire crank sensor for ferrous targets.
    Yes, that's the proper type Hall-Effect crank sensor for a ferrous trigger wheel.

BTW: THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE HELP!!!
    You're welcome.

Does it matter if the engine is a V6 and use a 4 tooth trigger wheel, or do I have to make a 6 tooth wheel out of the ferrous material? Thanks again!

An eight cylinder engine uses a 4x crank trigger wheel. A six cylinder engine uses a 3x crank trigger wheel. A four cylinder engine uses a 2x crank trigger wheel. (LINK - Figure 1)

I've looked & searched everywhere for aftermarket ferrous wheels with the application I needed, only thing I've found is magnetic wheels.

So use a magnetic trigger wheel with a VR magnetic (inductive) sensor.

As stated in the Commander 950 Pro EFI Manual (page 20 & 25):
    "Crank Trigger CD Ignition Systems – The Commander 950 Pro EFI can control the timing on any
    engine that uses a crank trigger (Magnetic or Hall-Effect) and a capacitive discharge ignition box."

"Inductive Pickup – Use with a magnetic pickup crank trigger.
    Hall Effect – Use with a Hall Effect crank trigger of Hall Effect Distributor."