Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holley Sniper EFI Timing Control Question

If you currently have an MSD magnetic pickup distributor, you might as well try it first. If you need to purchase a distributor, buy the Holley Dual Sync Distributor.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by bryaneh View Post
    Has anyone got an MSD magnetic distributor working with the Sniper EFI yet? Just planning ahead. Thanks.
    I tried three separate times with no luck. With everything set as instructed, rotor phased & everything synced, it would randomly stall with no rhyme or reason for it.

You'll be glad you purchased the Holley Dual Sync Distributor. The Holley Dual Sync Distributor is a proven component that uses far superior Hall-Effect sensors (especially in EFI applications). And of course, it's specifically designed and "plug & play" for Holley EFI.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gI4FDfU2sI (Holley Dual Sync Distributor Installation - Sniper EFI)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    I tried three separate times with no luck. With everything set as instructed, rotor phased & everything synced, it would randomly stall with no rhyme or reason for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    You'll be glad you purchased the Holley Dual Sync Distributor. The Holley Dual Sync Distributor is a proven component that uses far superior Hall-Effect sensors (especially in EFI applications). And of course, it's specifically designed and "plug & play" for Holley EFI.
    Believe it or not, was bored today and after taking a decent drive in the car, I decided I'm going to try one more time.

So, yanked the poor old MSD distributor out, locked it out for about the 20th time in the last 3 years, and dropped it back in. Reset the Sniper to MAGNETIC, 60° Reference Angle, 100 usec, and 2° Output Dwell (from default of 2.5). Fired right up, but had to adjust usec to higher number to not retard when checking timing against ECU timing. Ended up at 140.0 usec. Car sounds great, super responsive, as always.

Stock MSD rotor was roughly the width of the rotor blade away from #1 terminal, on my test distributor cap, at idle.

When revved to CRUISE TIMING RPM, which is pretty much just off idle, it's maybe a half width of the stock rotor blade away from being dead on. Seems to run great, being out of phase, and didn't do the semi stall, RPM Error thing, at all. So should I just not worry about it, and go with it?

Just to refresh, my car was acting weird and trying to stall WITHOUT timing control. With the adjustable rotor being dead on #1 terminal, AND when trying to run timing control the 3 other times, the only common denominator, that is NOT there now, is the adjustable rotor, and having it dead on #1 terminal at higher RPM.

I know it doesn't really make sense, but it does seem to work fine now.

From my experience, I've found with the rotor dead on the terminal at high RPM, it will leave it too far away from the terminal at low RPM. Which will cause spark scatter.

Quote Originally Posted by bryaneh View Post
    Has anyone got an MSD magnetic distributor working with the Sniper EFI yet? Just planning ahead. Thanks.
    I'm also still waiting on my Sniper system to show up. Holley said I should be seeing it around the end of January. Hopefully sooner!

Quote Originally Posted by 81 TransAm View Post
    From my experience, I've found with the rotor dead on the terminal at high RPM, it will leave it too far away from the terminal at low RPM. Which will cause spark scatter.
    This. You don't want the rotor tip centered at either high or low RPM. You want it to "sweep" a fairly even distance on either side of the distributor terminal. That way, you get a reasonably good distance from tip to terminal at any RPM, instead of a perfect distance at only one small, narrow RPM range.

Quote Originally Posted by 81 TransAm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
    This. You don't want the rotor tip centered at either high or low RPM. You want it to "sweep" a fairly even distance on either side of the distributor terminal. That way, you get a reasonably good distance from tip to terminal at any RPM, instead of a perfect distance at only one small, narrow RPM range.
    I agree. Ensure the distributor's "rotor phasing" is correct:
    http://documents.msdperformance.com/8644_tb.pdf (MSD Rotor Phasing Document)
    MSD has a good video on why it's important:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWMlNwGW0tM (MSD Tech - Rotor Phasing Video)

That's what has me puzzled guys. Right now, the rotor tip/blade looks to be a good 3/16" away from the #1
    terminal at idle (roughly 28°), and has maybe 1/2 the rotor on the terminal, when at CRUISE RPM & 45° timing.
    I have the Dual Sync ordered (back ordered), but if this continues to work, I may just cancel the dual sync order.
    With the adjustable rotor, phased as the videos show, the car would randomly stall and act as if key was turned off & on, if it didn't fully stall.

Quote Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
    With the adjustable rotor, phased as the videos show, the car would randomly stall and act as if key was turned off & on, if it didn't fully stall.
    There must be something wrong with that adjustable rotor. Is its rotor tip at least positioned (distance & vertically) in the same spot, in relation to the cap terminal (rotor phasing issues aside)? MSD sells two different adjustable rotors (8421 & 84211). Also, have you tried replacing the two steel screws with plastic ones (non-conductive electrically)?

Just a little advice. I've used the 84211 rotor. Lock tight the adjusting screw. I had it back out on me, and someone I know. This left us at the side of the road waiting for a tow home.