Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holley Sniper EFI Timing Control Question

You guys are really over thinking this.
    Turn the engine until it is at 50° BTDC. Drop the distributor in with the rotor tip pointing in the direction you want to make #1. Turn the distributor housing until you line up the Hall-Effect sensor. Snug down the distributor a little. Check to see what your cranking timing is set at in the ECU. Pull the power on the fuel pump so it will not start. Crank the engine and check the timing. Now sync what you are seeing at the crank to what the ECU is commanding. Turn the distributor housing to do this. Now you can start the engine and double check your timing with the engine running. Now you just need to check the rotor phasing.

Quote Originally Posted by 81 TransAm View Post
    That's why I wrote post #9.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Turn the engine until it is at 50° BTDC. Drop the distributor in with the rotor tip pointing in the direction you want to make #1. Turn the distributor housing until you line up the Hall-Effect sensor. Snug down the distributor a little. Check to see what your cranking timing is set at in the ECU. Pull the power on the fuel pump so it will not start. Crank the engine and check the timing. Now sync what you are seeing at the crank to what the ECU is commanding. Turn the distributor housing to do this. Now you can start the engine and double check your timing with the engine running. Now you just need to check the rotor phasing.
    I somewhat disagree. Holley/MSD does not spec this procedure for setting up an MSD distributor, and I would like to understand how & why their different procedure works, rather than be told "just do it, it'll run". Apparently something is different enough between the two ignition setups, that it's recommended to set it up in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
    I somewhat disagree. Holley/MSD does not spec this procedure for setting up an MSD distributor, and I would like to understand how & why their different procedure works, rather than be told "just do it, it'll run". Apparently something is different enough between the two ignition setups, that it's recommended to set it up in a different way.
    Not all distributors are designed the same. My Accel dual sync distributor has two different positions you can put the Hall-Effect sensor in, depending on what reference angle you're using. It's probably the position of the Hall-Effect sensor in the housing that's different on your MSD distributor. The bottom line with any type of distributor, is to sync the commanded timing with the actual timing at the crank. You must verify this with a timing light.

The bottom line with any type of distributor, is to sync the commanded timing with the actual timing at the crank. You must verify this with a timing light.
    Yes, this is the key statement. But the distributor shaft (rotor) has to be pointing in the right direction during installation. (This may require a few removals & reinstallations.) The adjust the rotor-phasing.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

So to update this, I believe my theory to be correct about the rotor/reluctor wheel relation differences between the Dual Sync & the Pro Billet.
    Per instructions provided by Holley, my adjustable rotor is set to 15° BTDC and installed on the distributor.

Crankshaft is rotated to 15° BTDC and the distributor is installed so rotor points at #1.

View hole is cut in a spare cap & rotor tip is aligned with #1 terminal, distributor clamp is tightened down.

From here, I removed the distributor cap and backed off the crankshaft until the reluctor wheel appeared aligned with the Hall-Effect sensor.
    In hindsight, I should've gone to leading edge, as I believe I want this system to read as Digital Rising, but this is close for this verification test.

And now checking the crankshaft, we end up very close to 50° BTDC, 48° to be specific. So, it appears that the 50° method is very similar,
    it's just that some timing is built into the distributor on the Dual Sync, and some is built into the rotor on the MSD. Overall, both procedures would work the same.

However you do it, just ensure the ignition timing is synchronized with the ECU. Then check rotor phasing.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....allation-Video (Sniper EFI/MSD Distributor Installation Video)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owUH...ature=youtu.be (Sniper EFI/MSD Distributor Installation Video)

Nick_R_23 thanks for the pictures and info. I've been wondering the same thing. I'm also very interested in the timing table that the Sniper uses, since the manual shows that during setup, the timing inputs are only relative to throttle position and not RPM.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sniper timing.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	1927
    I expect the forthcoming software will allow fine tuning of a generic ignition advance table as it does for the other Holley EFI systems.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base spark.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	1928

Quote Originally Posted by RA3Goat View Post
    I'm also very interested in the timing table that the Sniper uses, since the manual shows that during setup, the timing inputs are only relative to throttle position and not RPM.
    You need the Sniper EFI software to see the full timing table.

I expect the forthcoming software will allow fine tuning of a generic ignition advance table as it does for the other Holley EFI systems.
    Yes, it does (LINK).

Has anyone got an MSD magnetic distributor working with the Sniper EFI yet? Just planning ahead. Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast