Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: '94 Mustang Install

I have a spot to add a knock sensor on the block. But after going to two different stores, and even now an hour of searches online, I can't seem to find any. I have read one from a '96 Ford Bronco will work, but it doesn't seem Ford or anyone else makes or stocks them anymore? Any chance you know of one that will work, and the connector to plug into it?

Quote Originally Posted by ttocs View Post
    Any chance you know of one that will work, and the connector to plug into it?
    I can't tell you which knock sensor(s) to use on your engine, but this is how I did it: LINK. Installing & tuning a knock sensor is a major task, that only you can accomplish on your engine.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Danny, man your slipping, it took 4 hours, LOL?! After some searching, it looks like the OEM knock sensor for the old 302 is now no longer made, and it seems even the aftermarket replacements are no longer made or carried.
    Last edited by ttocs; 11-16-2016 at 02:04 AM.

I would use the GM knock sensors that Danny is using. I just added two of them. I just started the engine the other night, but they already logged false knock at low RPM. So they need to be tuned, but at least I know they're working.
    93 Notchback, 383ci SBF, Highports, 80mm turbo, custom cam, TH400

It took some searching, but I think I found the correct knock sensor, and now have it on the way here now from China. The last detail of wiring I need to clear up is the IAC. This is what my cars OEM wire manual shows:
    Attachment 1929
    My best educated guess is that the signal is the brown/white, the sensor ground is the gray/red, and the sensor +5V Ref Out = gray/white. Can you confirm or correct from this diagram? I have had to cut it down so small to post, I can show more if needed.

My best educated guess is that the signal is the brown/white,
    The signal isn't the brown/white wire, because it's shared by two sensors.
    Brown white is the +5V sensor power for those two +5V sensors. (The ECT sensor is a 2-wire thermistor.)

...the sensor ground is the gray/red, and the sensor +5V Ref Out = gray/white.
    Yes, gray/red is sensor ground for all three sensors pictured. Gray/white is the TPS signal wire. (No IAC motor is pictured.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick90lx View Post
    I just started the engine the other night, but they already logged false knock at low RPM. So they need to be tuned, but at least I know they're working.
    It's common practice to zero the Max Timing Retard table at idle (ESC Parameters in the Spark ICF). The Sensitivity is the
    "tuning" parameter. Don't tune the knock sensor (Sensitivity) at idle. The engine stability at idle, isn't as good as other
    RPM ranges, so it doesn't promote a good tuning scenario. Hence the reason most knock sensors aren't enabled at idle.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I've been going through the manual for the last two hours tracing splices & connections on all the pages. Took you 28 minutes to see the post & answer it. Remind me to put you on my Christmas card list.

LOL! Thanks for the kind gesture.

I had to order the knock sensor off of eBay out of China, and then had to modify a harness to fit it. It only has black wires coming off of it. Assuming this is just a microphone, polarity should not be important, correct?

It only has black wires coming off of it. Assuming this is just a microphone, polarity should not be important, correct?
    I think it does have ground & signal polarity. Check your engine's shop manual (wiring schematics).

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast