Thread: Thinking About Sniper Purchase

Default Thinking About Sniper Purchase

Hello everyone. I'm considering purchasing the Holley Sniper EFI to replace the Edelbrock E-Street EFI that I've been unhappy with, and I have a couple questions. First, does the Sniper have annular discharge like some of the other EFI systems? Second question is, I have the Edelbrock EFI Sump which is the only part of their system that worked right for me. Will the Sniper EFI system work with the sump, or will I need to get a different form of fuel delivery? Lastly, what type of intake manifold is best for the Sniper? I'm currently running an aluminum dual-plane intake, would a single-plane work better? It will be going on a late model Dodge with a 440. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nlpro007 View Post
    First, does the Sniper have annular discharge like some of the other EFI systems?
    Yes, it has the annular discharge rings (like the Terminator TBI), not the annular discharge boosters.

Second question is, I have the Edelbrock EFI sump which is the only part of their system that worked right for me. Will the Sniper EFI system work with the sump, or will I need to get a different form of fuel delivery?
    If it works well on your vehicle's fuel system now, it should work well with the Sniper EFI.

Lastly, what type of intake manifold is best for the Sniper? I'm currently running an aluminum dual-plane intake, would a single-plane work better?
    Use the appropriate intake manifold type & model for your engine application/combination.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r11193.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Quick Start Manual - Read page 2.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I was just unsure about the sump because it's returnless, and has its own internal pressure regulator. I had read the Sniper EFI requires a return line. Thanks.

The Sniper EFI throttle body has a built-in fuel pressure regulator (factory set at 58.5 psi), and does use a return line. I don't suggest using the Edelbrock Universal EFI Sump (LINK).

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

OK, thanks for the information. I was just confused because the Holley in-tank retrofit returnless says it works with Sniper, and it has it's own pressure regulator as well. I do I have a Sniper on the way, but I will just go with an external pump.

I was just confused because the Holley in-tank retrofit returnless says it works with Sniper, and it has it's own pressure regulator as well.
    Which Holley In-Tank Retrofit Fuel Module part number are you referring to (LINK)?

I do I have a Sniper on the way, but I will just go with an external pump.
    Yep, I've never used an in-tank fuel pump and probably never will. I've never had any problem with my external fuel pump.

That's not the one you'd want to use with the Sniper EFI. You'd use the Holley 12-132 In-Tank Retrofit Fuel Module.

Thanks for the info. I'm just going to stick with an external fuel pump, since my truck has dual tanks it will be simpler and cheaper that way. One thing I was wondering is, will this system work well with a standard old style under hood air cleaner, or would I be better off to get some sort of cold air intake for it. I've read so much conflicting information on whether a cold air intake is worth it or not on a classic 70s truck. I currently just have the standard single inlet old style air cleaner, but I want the system to be as efficient and well running as possible, because it's a daily driver.

Thanks for the info. I'm just going to stick with an external fuel pump, since my truck has dual tanks it will be simpler and cheaper that way.
    I agree, an external fuel pump works great.

I've read so much conflicting information on whether a cold air intake is worth it or not on a classic 70s truck.
    http://www.460ford.com/forum/42-gene...n-project.html (My Cold Air Induction Project)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5602#post65602 (Additional Air Cleaner Information)