Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sniper EFI Stall

Default Sniper EFI Stall

We installed the Sniper EFI and it runs fine, but sometimes at idle the engine stalls! It felt like someone cuts it off. Needle from tach drops, and sometimes the engine stumbles and runs fine again, mostly stalls.
    We have a new MSD distributor and an MSD CD box. To be sure that the MSD6 caused no problem, we install the coil driver, but with that we have NO spark. Do you have idea? We checked everything twice.

Watch the Data Monitor on the 3.5" LCD Touchscreen. It seems like the EFI system looses the RPM signal, which causes the engine to stall.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

That's my first intention. On the display, you can not see it, it's only fraction of second. On the tach you can see the dropping needle. I checked the distance of the pickup in the distributor, and took all power wires direct to battery. When the engine was running we pull an cables to see if there are some loose connection, but all fine. The tach signal we changed from MSD box to ECU.

The very first test drive was fine. It started at second drive. We've changed the thermostat because temperature was too low for Learn mode. Why is the Holley coil driver not working?

Quote Originally Posted by RaceFink View Post
    I checked the distance of the pickup in the distributor, and took all power wires direct to battery.
    Which MSD distributor are you using (part number)?

The tach signal we changed from MSD box to ECU.
    I don't understand, where's the RPM signal connected to now? Is this an ECU timing controlled application?
    http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Instruction Manual - For my own reference.)

(Please don't type your posts like you're texting. It takes me a long time to edit it. At least use Spell Check before posting.)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

See picture. It cuts fuel, not ignition. It was taken just when the engine stalled. Yes, it's an ignition timing controlled application. The signal was from MSD distributor. The signal for the factory dash tach you can use from MSD or from Holley ECU. We use the ECU signal for that.
    Last edited by RaceFink; 10-28-2016 at 01:25 PM.

I'm sure Danny will reply, but your TPS is at 307% and your MAP sensor is giving you a HI Error. Both are not good things.

As 81 TransAm stated, you have no MAP sensor signal, and the TPS signal is wrong. Of course this is why you're having problems. Troubleshoot those two errors.

Yep, for sure. That happens only fractions of a second, so with voltmeter I can not measure TPS voltage. The error cut DC. For me, it looks like a Sniper internal problem! Both happen at same time.
    Last edited by RaceFink; 10-28-2016 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceFink View Post
    That happens only fractions of a second, so with voltmeter I can not measure TPS voltage.
    What? You can measure MAP & TPS voltage (+5V & Ground) with the ignition key-on/engine-off.

The error cut DC. For me, it looks like a Sniper internal problem! Both happen at same time.
    There's no Sniper EFI problem. Both of those sensors share the +5V & Ground, so they're likely sharing the same problem.

Yep. Sorry for my mistake, but I'm located in Germany and my English is not so well, it should be:
    I can measure TPS voltage, but the error was too short to messure. When I messure with an voltmeter you can not see any error.
    Engine run mostly fine, but stalls at idle sometimes. And the message in display was so short, that you can't see with eyes, only in slow motion video.
    Groundings was first thing I checked. We worked long with EFI and most of such problems was grounding or electric smog. For me, it looks like there's more than 5 volts on sensors.
    Last edited by RaceFink; 10-28-2016 at 02:26 PM.