Thread: Holley Pro-Jection 2 MPI ECU

Default Holley Pro-Jection 2 MPI ECU

I have just gotten a Holley Pro-Jection 2 MPI ECU, and I'm trying to find out some more info on it. I have done lots of researching & reading, but have come up short on what I'm looking for. Does anyone have a wiring diagram/manual for this ECU? Even pictures of the wiring harness would help. Does anyone know what software works with this ECU? Holley's tech page skips over this EFI for some reason, it jumps from Pro-Jection 4Di to Commander 950 in manuals & software.

The ECU body is the same style as the 4Di, so I think the hardware is similar, just setup to run 8 injectors for MPI not 4 injectors in a throttle body. Looking back though the Web Archive of Holley's site back in the year 2000, I have found out these systems were sold with intakes and a injectorless throttle body for Chevy or as a plug & play harness for a 5.0L Mustang.

On another forum I found one of these systems for sale (years ago), but it was being sold with the Commander 950 software (on floppies so I'm unsure of the revision). So I'm not sure if this system uses the 4Di software or the Commander software. Just trying to get my plan together on this unit. I'm getting it for more a experiment to try out than a serious setup. I think I have found though another forum post that the connector to this unit is a 36 Way Econoseal III by AMP. This is what the ECU looks like. (not my picture).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of MPI.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	1899
    Last edited by ADOR; 10-27-2016 at 10:33 PM.

You'll have to contact Holley for information on this antiquated ECU. However, don't be surprised if they're not much help due to how rare it is now.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I finally got around to sending an email to Holley's online support. In two or three days, I got a reply back. First reply was confirming it was a batch fire system, and that a manual was coming in the next day or so. The next email contained the manual. I didn't even get a sales pitch for a newer system. Thanks, Holley!

Though another gearhead I talked though on the phone with a 4Di system he was selling, he told me what every wire color was coming from the plug in on the ECU. He already knew in advance I wasn't buying his system, but he was still super helpful and didn't ask for anything in return. Thanks stangfreek31. Another gearhead selling one sent me some picture of the harness plugged into the ECU for the wire colors. Thanks emwmass. With those these things, I will be back on track on this.

I just got back home from work, so I'm hoping this coming week I can lay the computer out and jump just the power & communication wires, to make sure it works and will communicate with a laptop. Only other thing I will have to figure out now, is were on the DB9 port where what wire goes where. I will post up my findings soon.
    Last edited by ADOR; 04-01-2017 at 09:55 AM.

DB9 had data in, data out, and a ground for the data. Only three wires were used. You can get a DB9 to USB adapter, but some company in China ripped off the "chip", and Microsoft told all their operating systems to "ignore" even the real "chip". So you'll get a error that your PC can't work with the DB9 to USB adapter. The "Vista OS" driver does work.

That won't be a problem, but thanks for pointing that out.

I rebuild Toughbooks and I'm a regular on the Toughbook forums. They have a serial port still on the fully rugged models to this day. (And on other models as well.)

I have selected two PCs from my pile to setup for this MPI system & Commander 950 system. One is my Mk3 CF-29 (Pentium M, 1.5 GB ram, 250 GB IDE hard drive) I reloaded a fresh install of XP SP2 on it, and installed both Holley software on it. My other is a CF-M34 Mk7 (Pentium M, 1.25 GB ram, IDE to MSATA adapter with 80GB Intel SSD) I will be reloading XP on it. If for the MPI version XP doesn't work out. I also have copies of 2000 & 98 on hand and older M34 units with P3 processors to use.

If these work out how I want I also have a CF-07 system that can be permanently mounted into the cab and stay there for true tuning on the go.

Other software I will be using with them is a older "self adjusting" program called HONDO for the Pro-Jection, and I found a similar program for the Commander 950 that reads your logs and adjusts a fuel table for you. Then you just upload your new modded fuel table.

Below is the colors I was given over the phone from a fellow hot rodder on the colors coming out of his 4Di box. I have a few pictures of this to load up as well when I get time.

LEFT TO RIGHT

TOP ROW
    WHITE WITH BLUE
    GREEN WITH BLACK
    PURPLE WITH BLUE SPIRAL
    YELLOW
    BLACK
    ORANGE
    BROWN
    WHITE
    YELLOW (SMALL GAUGE)
    RED (SMALL GAUGE)
    BLUE (SMALL GAUGE)
    ORANGE WITH RED STRIPE

MIDDLE ROW
    WHITE WITH GREEN
    WHITE WITH BROWN
    PURPLE WITH BLACK
    PURPLE WITH WHITE
    BLUE WITH RED
    RED (LARGE DIAMETER)
    SOLID BLUE
    SOLID GREY
    YELLOW WITH RED
    SOLID BLACK
    Lt ORANGE (FLESH TONE, SMALL DIA)
    SOLID GREEN (SMALL DIA)

BOTTOM ROW

WHITE WITH RED
    SOLID BLACK
    PURPLE WITH YELLOW
    BLUE WITH WHITE
    SOLID BLACK (LARGE DIA)
    BLACK WITH WHITE (SMALL DIA)
    SOLID GREEN
    DARK ORANGE WITH BLACK
    YELLOW WITH BLACK
    GREEN (SMALL DIA)
    YELLOW (SMALL DIA)
    BROWN (SMALL DIA)

This system is batch fired.

Here are a few shots I got from a few guys helping me though the web. This is from a 4Di unit.

h by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

4di by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

22 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

11 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

4di4 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

Once I have fully compared the photos to the colors I was given over the phone, then compare to the MPI manual with one diagram in the back that Holley gave me, I'll let you know what all I had to do and how it turned out.

20170410_184337 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr
    Last edited by ADOR; 04-11-2017 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Add more info

Quote Originally Posted by ADOR View Post
    I found a similar program for the Commander 950 that reads your logs and adjusts a fuel table for you. Then you just upload your new modded fuel table.
    What is this program, do you mind? I have one for the Commander 950, got it from a guy and cannot quite remember who he is, traxman or something like that?

Sorry for the late reply. I sent you a message with the guys email. I think that is the same software maybe. I still haven't tried it myself.

Been deep into trying to get the wiring all sorted on the Pro-Jection unit. I teamed up with one guy on Camaro forum that had the box, but no wiring as well. So we have a full map of that now. His worked, but it turned out mine has a older chip in it. So I either need 2.1, 2.2 or maybe 3.0 software. I have the latest version that is on Holley's website. That one won't recognize my MPI computer at all. Got a version 3.1 version and it will recognize that it is hooked up, but says won't work. Need older software. I purchased a newer chip, so I'm going to try that, but still looking for the older EFI software to put up.