Thread: Learn Question

Default Learn Question

Is there any way to change the amount of cells altered by the Learn when it's making corrections? When it was self-tuning, my idle with & without the A/C on, it was changing too many cells. I just zeroed out the Learn in that area and manually tuned/blended cell by cell. Easy enough, but I was curious more for future reference than anything. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
    Is there any way to change the amount of cells altered by the Learn when it's making corrections?
    No, it's a floating 3x3 cell (9 cell block) Learn pattern.

When it was self-tuning, my idle with & without the A/C on, it was changing too many cells. I just zeroed out the Learn in that area and manually tuned/blended cell by cell.
    When the engine is tuned & running well, you should decrease the Closed Loop and Learned Compensation Limits % to lock in a good tune.
    I decreased my Learned Compensation Limits to 2% in the idle area (10% elsewhere). My Closed Loop Compensation Limits are 50% or less.
    When the Learn Table values stop making significant changes, the ECU is finished self-tuning.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....7370#post47370 (Learn Table - Read this thread, especially posts #2, #6 & #11.)

Also, ensure the Base Fuel Table is smooth by viewing & blending the Fuel Graph. It's very important to have a smooth Fuel Graph.
    One aspect of viewing the Fuel Graph: It's better to zoom in, by highlighting segments of the Base Fuel Table (left click & drag), and click "Graph".
    This method offers much greater detail. Looking at the entire "Fuel Graph" will almost always look smooth, because it's not as magnified.
    TIP: When the Fuel Graph is smooth, click "Conversion" (VE% Conversion mode) and continue smoothing the general contour of the VE Fuel Graph.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & MT 245/45R17 tires.

Didn't think so. Already did pretty much everything you said. I just figured it would be easier if you could adjust the range that it tuned, and then manually blend that. No biggie either way, more curiosity than anything else. Thanks.

I just figured it would be easier if you could adjust the range that it tuned, and then manually blend that. No biggie either way, more curiosity than anything else.
    I remember the Holley EFI Engineers did a lot of testing on this, and determined the 3x3 cell (9 cell block) Learn pattern was best. If Learning is a problem for some users, they'll manually tune it.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & MT 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    I remember the Holley EFI Engineers did a lot of testing on this, and determined the 3x3 cell (9 cell block) Learn pattern was best. If Learning is a problem for some users, they'll manually tune it.
    Yup, easy enough to clean up by hand. I have my Learn zeroed out in the idle area and only around 2-3% Closed Loop trim, so it's good. I was using auto tune for a while, but when the A/C was on, it would increase my fueling with it off & vice versa. I did use the auto tune a bit too, just zeroed out cells I didn't want to alter in the Learn Table before copying over, then manually fine tuned and blended it from there.

This car still has an extremely smelly idle that I can't figure out though. Seems to idle smoothest around 12.8, but whether I have it at 12.8 or 15, it will make your eyes water! I just can't figure it out.

I had read that in the past, but I'm currently running Untimed Sequential, so I don't know if that will work or not. I had some other bugs to work out before I put it back into sequential. I think they're all straightened out, so maybe I'll try it again and then mess with the Injector End Angle. I just wasn't sure how much it would change my tune going from Untimed Sequential back to normal sequential, and didn't want to mess with it. I'll have to experiment with it some. Thank you!

I had read that in the past, but I'm currently running Untimed Sequential, so I don't know if that will work or not.
    No, it must be full sequential injection.

I just wasn't sure how much it would change my tune going from Untimed Sequential back to normal sequential, and didn't want to mess with it.
    You won't notice (feel) any significant change.

OK, I assumed it would throw it off, at least the idle area. Thanks. Joe