Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sniper EFI - Fuel Pump Placement

Default Sniper EFI - Fuel Pump Placement

I just about ready to pull the trigger on the Sniper Master EFI kit and have one question for all of you EFI guys and that is in regards to the fuel system and fuel pump. This would be going on a 1932 Ford Roadster that currently has a 350/350 engine and trans combo. So obviously mounting the fuel pump inline would be the easiest way for me to add an electric fuel pump to the car. However, I'm concerned with this bullet point in the instructions:
    "The fuel pump MUST be mounted lower than the lowest part of the fuel tank, and as close to the tank as possible."
    However, on a '32 Ford that's easier said than done. Please see my diagram to how the gas tank mounts in a '32 Ford:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel-Pump-Placement.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	1869
    It appears to me that Holley is wanting to use gravity to prime the electric pump. See their diagram below:

Name:	Screenshot 2016-10-12 10.57.22.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	1870
    In my case, the fuel pickup is coming out of the top of the tank. So I would need a bit of suction from the pump to get the fuel flowing. I've read that electric inline pumps are terrible at sucking and much better at pushing. What are your guy's thoughts in regards to the inline pump and how it would be mounted? Would this work or do you think I'm better off spending the time & resources to convert my tank to an in-tank pump?

Quote Originally Posted by qbrown View Post
    However, I'm concerned with this bullet point in the instructions:
    "The fuel pump MUST be mounted lower than the lowest part of the fuel tank, and as close to the tank as possible."
    It appears to me that Holley is wanting to use gravity to prime the electric pump. See their diagram below:
    That's the same fuel pump location instruction in all of Holley's EFI systems.

In my case, the fuel pickup is coming out of the top of the tank. So I would need a bit of suction from the pump to get the fuel flowing. I've read that electric inline pumps are terrible at sucking and much better at pushing.
    In-tank pumps are great, however, I've never had a single problem with an external in-line pump.
    My external in-line fuel pump has never been mounted below the level of the fuel tank.
    It's more important to mount the fuel pump as close to the tank as possible, keeping the suction line as short as possible.
    Drill the Walbro pump's inlet & outlet fittings a little larger, and use the shortest possible suction hose.
    My fuel pump has been mounted near the top of the fuel tank for over 12 years and never had any problems.
    UPDATE: I now have a custom made fuel pump module mounted on the fuel tank frame crossmember like THIS.
    FYI: That same Walbro in-line fuel pump (supplied in Master Kit/Fuel System) is an awesome fuel pump. I used it for 10 years; never gravity fed.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I've had a problem with several external pumps. But I think my issue was not using a heavy enough gauge of wire to power the pump. Always use a relay and 10 gauge wire to the pump.

Yes, I've never used the ECU's fuel pump trigger wire to directly power the pump (even if it is less than 10 amps).
    I've always used a separate relay (shown below) because that green wire is still only 14 AWG.
    The 2nd fuel pump relay is used so the fuel injectors aren't subjected to the pump's amp draw.
    It's only a 20 amp fuse and it also feeds power to the fuel injectors (& ignition coils - LSx, MOD & HEMI).
    I prefer to use 10 gauge wire due to its long length, especially for high output race pumps.
    Simply use the green fuel pump wire (+12V) to trigger your additional fuel pump relay's coil (+) terminal #86.
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/12-753 (Holley 12-753 Fuel Pump Relay Kit)
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10059.pdf
    (Holley 12-753 Fuel Pump Relay Kit Instructions)
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...arts/30-199QFT (Quick Fuel 30-199QFT Fuel Pump Relay Kit)
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/40100G (Mr. Gasket 40100G Sealed Relay Kit)
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pco-5593pt/overview/ (Pico Wiring 5593PT Sealed Relay Kit)
    Delphi Metri-Pack 630 Pull-To-Seat female terminals for retrofitting to a sealed relay socket connector:
    #12033997 10/12 AWG (3.0 mm²), #12066614 14/16 AWG (2.0-1.0 mm²), #12020156 18/20 AWG (0.80-0.50 mm²)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Danny, I'm confused by your reply. In the Sniper instructions, it states that the blue wire can be used to directly power a fuel pump (see image below). Are you saying I should just use this wire to power on an additional fuel pump relay?

Name:	Screenshot 2016-10-13 08.36.27.jpg 
Views:	2081 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	1871

Quote Originally Posted by qbrown View Post
    Are you saying I should just use this wire to power on an additional fuel pump relay?
    Yes, that is what I implied. But on second thought, you should be fine by using the blue wire to directly power the fuel pump. Which AWG (wire gauge) is that blue fuel pump wire?

Qbrown, I have very similar issue to you. 1932 Ford, 307 Chev with a TH700R4.
    Looking at the Sniper EFI also. Bit harder (& dearer) in Australia, but looks worth it.
    What type of tank do you have, and have you sorted out a return line to tank yet?
    Ben

Holley needs to update the description of the Sniper EFI features, as well as update the system wiring overview to show the true wiring of the preinstalled relay & fuse. There is, in my 550-511 kit, a complete fuel pump relay with wiring integrated into the 7-pin connector. The blue wire labeled "fuel pump output" is a long heavier gauge wire capable of powering a fuel pump. There's also wire sleeve to cover much of it. The entire EFI system is designed to use just one battery connection, and the fuse is 30 amps. I was surprised & happy about the fuel pump relay, because it will be much easier and better quality than what I might have done.

Quote Originally Posted by fbidek View Post
    Qbrown, I have very similar issue to you. 1932 Ford, 307 Chev with a TH700R4.
    Looking at the Sniper EFI also. Bit harder (& dearer) in Australia, but looks worth it.
    What type of tank do you have, and have you sorted out a return line to tank yet? Ben
    Funny you ask. I was going to just do the inline pump that comes with the master kit and be done with it. Now the shop that I'm going to be ordering this through recommends an in-tank pump. Do you know who's fuel tank you have? I have a Vintique tank. I'm thinking of doing a Tanks Inc. GPA-4 in-tank fuel pump with a Holley HydraMat since my tank is not baffled. I need to take my tank out of the car, and make sure that this pump will fit into my tank.

The Quick Start Manual has a view of the Main Harness on page 6: http://documents.holley.com/199r11193.pdf. The fuel pump power wire is labeled as "optional".