Thread: Fuel Pressure

Default Fuel Pressure

Running a Ford 347 with 500 HP! I have a few issues:
    1) My car always runs better when there's more fuel in the tank, when it gets around 10 liters, doesn't run as well? Coincidence?
    2) When I put my air cleaner on, it sparks with the car running. How can I find out what's causing this?
    3) I connected a fuel transducer to the system, and it read 12 this morning and only 9 in the afternoon? After using 3/8 of fuel in the tank!
    Thanks.

1) Start by informing us of which Holley Avenger EFI system (part number) you have, and some details of your fuel tank, pump, filters, etc.
    2) What does "it sparks with the car running" mean? Are you referring to an ignition system spark leak or an electrical short type of spark?
    3) Why is your fuel system pressure 12 psi? The Avenger TBI manual clearly states it's supposed to be 21 psi.
    This was supposed to be one of the initial checks/adjustments, even before starting the engine for the first time.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This! (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read This!)
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10552rev.pdf (Holley 550-400 Avenger TBI 4 BBL Instructions)
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10506rev2.pdf (Holley 550-200 Avenger TBI 2 BBL Instructions)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Dumb question? Does the Holley 550-401 Avenger TBI have a fuel pressure regulator? If it does, what does it look like? And how can I adjust fuel pressure?
    Last edited by SEINSMELD; 09-30-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Yes, the fuel pressure regulator is on the TBI unit (at the rear, between the fuel line fittings). Turning the 5/32" allen setscrew inward (clockwise), increases fuel pressure.

Ensure the fuel pressure been properly adjusted and "Actual System Pressure" (Terminator - "Fuel Pres") accurately entered in Engine Parameters.
    With TBI, the Actual System Pressure is measured anytime engine is running (no vacuum reference hose), or key-on/engine-off pump running.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I adjusted the regulator, but my computer still reads 10. I turned it two half turns. The transducer is a 200 psi, not a 100 psi. What do the factors on the fuel table need to be? The spark I'm talking about blows the 15 amp fuse on the computer; it's shorting out. I did not install the EFI system.

Quote Originally Posted by SEINSMELD View Post
    The transducer is a 200 psi, not a 100 psi.
    Now you need to connect a laptop to the ECU, and select "Custom Pressure" in the Sensors ICF.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....2674#post32674 (Fuel Pressure Calibration Curve)

The spark I'm talking about blows the 15 amp fuse on the computer; it's shorting out.
    I would ensure there isn't any bare (damaged) wiring on the fuel injection harness. That shouldn't happen.

I changed my fuel graph, but it still won't not read 10, even when I adjust the regulator.

I changed my fuel graph...
    The fuel pressure sensor Calibration Curve (Sensors ICF) was programmed wrong? We discussed that issue HERE almost two years ago.

...but it still won't not read 10, even when I adjust the regulator.
    Maybe the fuel pressure regulator needs to be rebuilt:
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...es/parts/512-1 (Holley TBI Fuel Pressure Regulator Diaphragm Kit)

I can feel the difference in the car, but the computer still reads 10 psi. The fuel pressure transducer is Teed off right before the supply line. Yes I know, but I did a total reset of my programming to see if it make the car run better.

I can feel the difference in the car, but the computer still reads 10 psi.
    I have no idea what you're doing wrong. The TBI fuel pressure regulator is very sensitive to adjustment. A little turn should make a big change. Have you tried temporarily connecting a mechanical fuel pressure gauge?