Thread: 4160 Stumble At WOT

Default 4160 Stumble At WOT

I have a stock Motorcraft Holley 4160. I borrowed a friends exact carb, and he says he has a different spring for the vacuum secondaries, and possibly an upgraded plate of some kind. It's for a dirt circle track car and want it to stop leaning out in the turns, and don't want to take apart his to find out. Any opinions would be appreciated

A different spring for vacuum secondaries isn't going to change a fuel starvation issue. That just changes how easy the secondaries will open up based on vacuum.

Now you said possibly an updated "plate" of some sort. I assume you mean the base plate. If he has an upgrade plate that could make a huge difference.

Have you tried running a higher setting on your floats? It will enrich up some of the circuits so you will need to adjusts but the more fuel you got in the bowl the better off you are.
    Many of the dedicated circle track carbs have baffled internal fuel bowls to control the fuel slosh which is causing your lean conditions.

Here's a quote from Quick Fuel Carbs:
    Simple physics dictates that racing around a banked oval pushes fuel to the passenger side of the car. To counter this, Q-Series circle track carburetors feature die-cast aluminum fuel bowls with internal baffles that eliminate slosh. The bowls also feature an integrated fuel chute that substantially reduces aeration, and directs fuel toward the main jet pickup area.

A simple fix could be be to see if you can find some of these specialty bowls that will fit your carb.
    Last edited by 69cam; 09-26-2016 at 11:11 PM.

All I've done is set the floats to the bottom of the sight holes. I also had to do the same on his when I installed it.