Thread: Will not Idle after Full Throttle

74corvette Guest

Default Will not Idle after Full Throttle

Hi there, I have been running a model 4160, 750CFM vacuum secondary, electric choke holley carb for 4-5 years now. I have the carb tuned well, plenty of power and good throttle response, etc.. The problem I am facing is the engine will not idle after I open up the throttle and allow the secondary’s to open up. As long as I never go full throttle my engine will idle perfect. Also, after I go full throttle and the engine will not idle, to get the engine to idle correctly again I must turn the engine off, only for a couple seconds, re-start and idle is back to perfect again. This issue is not intermit, it is every time I go full throttle without fail. If anyone has any ideas on what I can do to fix this I would appreciate it.

rickyr Guest

Default carb

Hi,
    it sounds like the connecting link from the pri. to the sec. linkage might be bent
    and not closing the sec. plates right
    the part # of that link is 20-53
    I would try replaceing it
    Thanks

74corvette Guest

I had suspected that the secondary’s were not closing all the way back, so I did try to close them by turning the lever with my hands, with the engine running in the bad idle. It didn’t do anything, I even covered up the secondardy side of the carb to see if that would make a difference, it did not. I will take a closer look at the secondary linkage this weekend, just in case. Is there anyother possbile fix’s for this? One thing I fogot to add in my first post was, when the engine is idleing proper the exaust has a normal smell, but when the engine will not idle, the exaust has an unburnt gas/fuel smell.
    Thanks again for your response.

rickyr Guest

Default carb

Do you have the right size power valve for your vacuum reading?
    the power valve needs to be 1/2 of what your vacuum is at idle (in gear if auto trans)

74corvette Guest

Thanks for the help & suggestions, turns out it was the power valve. I had a 6.5 in.Hg, for a vacuum of +-10 in.Hg at idle, which worked well for years. Using your suggestion of half the vacuum, I gave a 4.5 in.Hg power valve a try, and that was it, back to idling perfect. As a side question, can power valves change their opening vacuum levels after some time, ie springs or rubber get softer or harder over time or something? I am just curious because the 6.5 inHg power valve worked well for years, why would things have changed? Thanks again.

rickyr Guest

Default power valve

I have never heard of the vacuum rating changing on a PV
    Thanks