Thread: Transmission 4L60E

Default Transmission 4L60E

How will I control the transmission with the Sniper EFI?

You will need an external transmission controller.
    I prefer the Powertrain Control Solutions TCM-2000.
    But there are plenty of options out there to choose from.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

I just thought of something. I wonder if it would be a good idea for Holley to offer their own stand-alone transmission controller?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    I just thought of something. I wonder if it would be a good idea for Holley to offer their own stand-alone transmission controller?
    Possibly. They would have to gauge how many people step up to the Dominator strictly for the added transmission control. Yes, the Dominator adds a lot of other features, but is auto transmission control the biggest factor. A stand-alone transmission controller would need to communicate back with an HP, and whatever is used on the Sniper. And it would have to cost less than cost of Dominator - cost of HP. Not sure if that is possible, or even desirable. Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Of course it would be. Offer it in a CAN configuration, so that it can be added to any Holley system. It doesn't need to offer any extra ins/outs. It just needs to be able to control up to 6 transmission speeds and a torque converter. (Hoping they catch the drift and make it an option for 6L80E & 6R80E guys with have no aftermarket options.) It would definitely bridge the HUGE price gap between an HP system and a Dominator with all the transmission stuff. Could make a nice middle point that I know I could sell a ton of.
    -Scott
    Low 8 Second Street Car

I thought so. I'll suggest it to Holley.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by S2H View Post
    You will need an external transmission controller.
    I prefer the Powertrain Control Solutions TCM-2000.
    But there are plenty of options out there to choose from.
    Any thoughts on the recently released MicroSquirt Transmission Controller? At $450 with harness, it's less than half the cost of the PCS unit, and I imagine being part of the MS line, should be highly configurable. Mike
    1967 Camaro. 5.3L L33 swap, Holley Dominator EFI. 10.65 @ 128 so far.
    Rick's Tank with dual Walbro 450s, Holley 120 lb/hr injectors.
    LS1 intake, stock DBW TB, LJMS custom cam/BTR springs/Tick pushrods.
    TH400, FTI Converter, Fab9, 3.25 gears/Wave-Loc diff, 275/60/15 M/T ET Streets. 125 HP dry nitrous.
    Waiting to install Holley Turbo Manifold Kit: Forced Inductions Billet S485/Vibrant 18x12x6" A2A. Looking to go 8s this year.

I don't trust anything MegaSquirt puts out any further than I can throw it. I have not been impressed yet. Are they functional, yes. Most of the time they will function just fine. I'll leave it at that.
    -Scott
    Low 8 Second Street Car

MSD offers a stand-alone transmission controller. So now that MSD is under the Holley umbrella, it should be pretty easy to integrate.
    As far as the 6L80E/90E transmission in stand-alone form, there's only one company that offers that's Powertrain Control Solutions. -Greg

Quote Originally Posted by radrace19 View Post
    MSD offers a stand-alone transmission controller. So now that MSD is under the Holley umbrella, it should be pretty easy to integrate.
    They won't try to integrate the MSD Atomic TCM (LINK). I was told they're contemplating a stand-alone transmission controller for the Holley Sniper EFI kits.