Thread: 200-4R Lockup With Terminator?

Default 200-4R Lockup With Terminator?

OK guys, I have rebuilt the engine in my SS427, and got the Terminator working on it. The new engine has 585 HP/610 TQ and a lot less vacuum! I did have to upgrade my handheld for the 3.5" LCD Touchscreen, and while I gripped about the price, it sure is amazing. I also finally got rid of my billet external fuel pump, and went to an in-tank pump. This is SO much more livable.

The one real issue I have now is that with the 3.42 gears, I'm at 3400 RPM at 70 MPH! I'm thinking about replacing my TH400 with an Extreme Automatics 200-4R transmission with a lockup torque converter. Since I have a Dakota Digital dash, I already have a VSS on the transmission right now. I think I need the to let the EFI computer read this sensor in order to make a good choice for toggling the lockup. I saw in another thread that we can remap one of the outputs (like the A/C) as a trigger for the TCC. While I haven't looked too far into this, I assume that if we are only monitoring engine speed & TPS, the transmission could be locked up at times we don't want, like a stop light! I think it makes sense to know how fast the vehicle is moving before locking the converter. Is this the right approach for this, or am I chasing my tail? Not certain what criteria should be used to set the TCC, but I really am trying to have my cake & eat it too! I love the power, but also want to be able to go on long cruises.
    Youtube Link of Car

This has been discussed many times before. Just do a search for "TCC Lockup". Here's two threads:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....8032#post78032 (Terminator TCC Lockup Parameters)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5854#post65854 (TCC Lockup Output Type, +12V or Ground)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

On dads car, we are controlling lockup with a minimum lockup RPM at 1750, and we're unlocking by TPS 28%. It works well, but took a lot of tinkering to find the best set points. This is a basic 350 700R4 combo with 3.73 rear gear in a '74 Nova. Lockup should only be able to happen when the transmission is in overdrive, so no need to worry about it locking up at a stop light.

Adding VSS would give you more control. We have considered trying it, but so far this is working well. One thing to note, you cannot just tap into the VSS off the wire to your dash. Some electronic speedometers have a pass through that you could run to the Holley computer, otherwise you would need a VSS signal box like an SGI-5. It can split and modify the VSS signal for multiple devices. I use one to run my electronic speedometer & Dakota Digital cruise control on my car. Running a T56 in that one, so I have never had a need to send VSS signal to ECU.
    Last edited by doldsen83; 08-13-2016 at 06:51 PM.