Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holley EFI Issues

Danny, even with the Static Timing Set activated, it will move around a little at idle. Should it be rock solid?

With a crank trigger, yes. (Especially a missing tooth type crank trigger, as opposed to a 4x type). Not so much with a distributor.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK, so with the MSD Flying Magnet, I figured it would be a little more solid. Now where do I go from here to smooth that out?

Quote Originally Posted by P.Lafferty View Post
    First off, it's an HP EFI and using LSx coils, MSD crank trigger with the Holley Hall-Effect sensor, a converted MSD distributor & magnetic cam sensor.
    Which engine is this?
    Have you tried running the engine in non-sequential mode (no cam sensor)?
    Change the Custom Ignition Parameters to Cam Sensor - "Not Used".
    Don't forget to click "Save" (top Toolbar), and cycle the ignition switch.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

The engine is a big block Ford. I was thinking about trying it, but I thought with an MSD crank trigger & individual coils, it wouldn't run. I can give it a shot for sure. I ran a System Log, and from my untrained eye everything seems normal, but I could be wrong.

I was thinking about trying it, but I thought with an MSD crank trigger & individual coils, it wouldn't run.
    With the cam sensor disabled, the ECU will run the CNP ignition in waste-spark mode.

Yes, I did the timing sync with the static timing set to 30°, my timing was off 7°. So I moved the crank sensor to match up, then set the Inductive Delay, which for some reason wanted to be at zero? And the timing when I rev the engine, stays where it's supposed to. However, when at idle with no modifiers enabled, the timing is not "rock solid" like some say theirs is.
    There's a Timing Offset in the tune that allows you to move just a few degrees, without physically moving the sensor. Sometimes that method is easier to get accuracy. With the timing adjusted and more dialed in, now what is the engine doing?

Thanks for the heads up 06-6.0. I'll look into that Timing Offset for sure. It starts up & runs good, other than the fact that the Base Fuel Table was way too lean. I've been talking with Dennis Moore about the situation, and we are confident the we're on the right track with this thing, even though he couldn't put a finger on why it would be there either. So he gave me the OK to move on to tuning.

Well just continue to work on it and keep us updated. Try and do some datalogging also, to aid the process.

OK, now where I'm at this deal is a whole new set of problems. The first being for some reason at about 2000 RPM, it will kick out the Learn mode until I lower the RPM below that, and then easing down the road it will intermittently kick in & out? It starts like crap now for some reason, but probably a tune up deal there. It was running real fat at light cruise, maybe due to the close loop also going in & out?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast