Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LS3 Base Calibration

Default LS3 Base Calibration

Will the fuel map from the 480HP LS2 GF be close enough to start a stock LS3 running Dominator? Assuming you change the injector type, DBW, displacement, etc. Also, what's the best way to turn down the timing table for the LS3? Better yet, anyone have a base map for a stock crate LS3?

LS3 engines usually want about 20°-22° at WOT (depending on the cam).
    They often like 5°-7° at idle, but want 24°-26° at just off idle & part throttle.
    They tolerate a bit more timing in the deceleration areas as well.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

Will the LS2 480HP fuel map be safe to use to start the engine?

Yes, even more so with Scott's advice above.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This! (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read This!)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

I often use the V4 Advanced Tables to offset spark for 0% TPS. This way I can have full timing as soon as I crack the throttle, but it gets the 5°-10° it's looking for at idle, when the throttle is closed on an LS3.
    -Scott
    Low 8 Second Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by S2H View Post
    I often use the V4 Advanced Tables to offset spark for 0% TPS. This way I can have full timing as soon as I crack the throttle, but it gets the 5°-10° it's looking for at idle, when the throttle is closed on an LS3.
    Would you mind elaborating on this? I understand what you're doing, but I'd like to see some more specifics. Are you using a 1D Table to offset timing in a certain RPM range, or do you use a 2D Table to just offset the idle area? How much timing are you pulling, and does this tend to upset the return to idle (E.G. target speed overshoot or stalling)? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by quarterbooty View Post
    Would you mind elaborating on this? I understand what you're doing, but I'd like to see some more specifics. Are you using a 1D Table to offset timing in a certain RPM range, or do you use a 2D Table to just offset the idle area? How much timing are you pulling, and does this tend to upset the return to idle (E.G. target speed overshoot or stalling)? Thanks.
    +1, I'd like to see an example too.

Quote Originally Posted by S2H View Post
    LS3 engines usually want about 20°-22° at WOT (depending on the cam).
    They often like 5°-7° at idle, but want 24°-26° at just off idle & part throttle.
    They tolerate a bit more timing in the deceleration areas as well.
    Scott, any advice on idle timing on a 5.3L with cathedral heads, and using the ASA cam (manual transmission)? Right now I'm running 30° in the 9 cells around idle, but according to your post, that's crazy high! Thanks in advance (see what I did there? LOL). Andrew

Cathedral heads usually like 20°-24° around idle. 30° is WAY too high for ANY LS engine at idle.
    -Scott
    Low 8 Second Street Car

For an example. On this file, the Base Timing Table is 20° at low RPM, continues through 1800 RPM when it transitions to 24°, up to 28° in highway cruise cells.
    The engine is very responsive, but the return to idle was kind of crappy, often dipped before it settled in.
    Often had idle issues where it seemed to die for no reason, or would go unstable and start to oscillate.
    The guy brought it to me because he didn't know how to fix his issue.

So I added this table.
    Basically, it waits 5 seconds after the vehicle goes above 400 RPM (the Crank To Run transition RPM).
    Which allows the startup to have some timing in it to get things going smoothly.
    Then if the TPS is below 6%, it removes timing from the base value.

So at idle (in this case) it commands 7° if the throttle is closed.
    At 6% throttle, all the timing is back in, making just off of idle very responsive.

If for some strange reason the idle goes below 399 RPM (like when he doesn't give it enough gas and uses too much clutch),
    it disables the table, so that it doesn't try to still pull out an additional 13° when Cranking Timing would be at 10° base.

-Scott
    Low 8 Second Street Car

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast