Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updating ECU

Default Updating ECU

I have to say, like so many others, that this is a frustrating process. My Terminator has firmware 000562 so I assume pre-version 2? There really needs to be a step by step process for those, who are reasonably intelligent to follow. Danny, help me here please.

I have read all the instructions backwards & forwards again & again. How do I actually get the updates on my ECU? I have plugged the USB cable into my laptop. I have the version 2 files all loaded onto my laptop (Windows 10). How do I get these things onto my ECU from here?

Quote Originally Posted by 442SCOTTY View Post
    I have to say, like so many others, that this is a frustrating process.
    I'm not aware of "many others" having problems with the ECU firmware update process.

My Terminator has firmware 000562 so I assume pre-version 2?
    No, that's an old version of the V2 firmware.

Software & Firmware Versions:
    Software: click "Help" tab (top toolbar) & "About Holley EFI".
    Firmware: click "Sync With ECU" & "Get ECU Info" (Key-on/USB connected).

I have plugged the USB cable into my laptop.
    Click on the Sync icon drop down menu (top Toolbar), and select "Update Firmware". then follow the instructions.

How do I actually get the updates on my ECU?
    The instructions & ECU firmware are included in the EFI software download.
    The latest software & firmware can be downloaded here:
    https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection (Holley EFI Technical Library)
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...rmwarerev1.pdf (How To Update ECU Firmware)
    Before updating firmware, ensure the current Global Folder is saved somewhere, since it will be erased from the ECU.
    Successfully install the new V2/V3/V4 EFI software (laptop), before installing the V2/V3/V4 ECU firmware.
    Ensure the Holley EFI software is not open and the ECU is not powered on/connected when installing the new software.

When doing something as important as an ECU firmware update, my laptop is fully charged, and my vehicle battery trickle charger is on (LINK).
    Remember, you can not lose battery power or laptop communication during an ECU firmware update. If so, the ECU will have to be sent to
    Holley, to be reflashed at their end. ECU firmware updates must be performed very seriously, and with a properly functioning laptop computer.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...rmwarerev1.pdf (How To Update ECU Firmware)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & MT 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks Danny. Car is up & running with V4 all around. Needed to give my head a shake. Now that my head was working, it all came together. Wahooo!

That's good news and you're welcome.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & MT 245/45R17 tires.

Hey, I'll just tried to download V3 software/firmware version for my HP EFI. Both are downloaded to my laptop, and the V3 is on the desktop. Now I wonder how to copy my current Global Folder, from V1 to V3, and also how I can find it in the V3 software? After the Global Folder move, I intend to try to download to the ECU:
    1. Software in USB Link ignition off.
    2. Firmware USB Link ignition on and then click the Sync arrow, choose Update Firmware. And here I'm unsure, where to find it, shall I copy it from my C:drive?

Quote Originally Posted by MUST.SWEDE View Post
    Now I wonder how to copy my current Global Folder, from V1 to V3, and also how I can find it in the V3 software?
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...e_overview.pdf (Holley V3 Software Update Overview - Read page 2.)
    In V1 software, the Global Folder is in the "C:Drive". In V3 software, it's in "Documents".
    Just move it into the Documents directory, and when you open it in V3, it will convert it.

2. Firmware USB Link ignition on and then click the Sync arrow, choose Update Firmware. And here I'm unsure, where to find it, shall I copy it from my C:drive?
    Before updating firmware, ensure the current Global Folder is saved somewhere, since it will be erased from the ECU.

I think I'm just worried about screwing this up. I have the transmission being rebuilt this weekend and need to enable the TCC Lockup. Found a couple of threads on that, and seems easy enough. BUT I'm worried about software vs firmware. Am I doing this right? Installed V4 software and got this error:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FW update warning.jpg 
Views:	1690 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	1734

It just says 1589 not a version number, so I took a wild guess and installed V2 software. I was able to download my Global File, but when I opened it, I get this warning:

Name:	Ind delay warning.jpg 
Views:	1682 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	1735
    I also noticed that in Engine Parameters of V2 it says my engine is a 350, but it's a 383.
    So did I choose the wrong software version again? I did my initial setup last winter and that was with the tiny handheld (the one with the little thumb joystick). This is the first time I have tried to connect to the ECU with a laptop.
    Which version of software should I be using? Everything works fine so far with the car, so I'm not interested in updating firmware at this point unless I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurbie View Post
    I think I'm just worried about screwing this up. I have the transmission being rebuilt this weekend and need to enable the TCC Lockup.
    You just need to connect a laptop (EFI software) to the ECU, to access those parameters (System Parameters, Basic I/O, TCC Lockup Settings).
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....9734#post49734 (Additional TCC Lockup Information)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....8389#post58389 (How To Create A Custom Input/Output)

BUT I'm worried about software vs firmware. Am I doing this right? Installed V4 software and got this error:
    The EFI (laptop) software, ECU firmware & touchscreen unit (if applicable) must all be V2, V3 or V4 compatible (LINK).

I also noticed that in Engine Parameters of V2 it says my engine is a 350, but it's a 383.
    So change it.

This is the first time I have tried to connect to the ECU with a laptop.
    Your Terminator ECU is an HP ECU, when a USB cable is connected. Download the Holley V2/V3/V4 EFI software to your laptop (LINK),
    open the software with USB cable (LINK) connected, click on "USB Link" to go "Online" with the ECU, and select "Get From ECU".

Which version of software should I be using? Everything works fine so far with the car, so I'm not interested in updating firmware at this point unless I need to.
    Which version do you have now?
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Check your EFI software/ECU firmware versions.)

Using the V2 software, I did the "click "Sync With ECU" & "Get ECU Info" (Key-on/USB connected)." and it gave me this:

Name:	ECU Info.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	1736

So it doesn't really say v2, v3, or v4. Does this help at all:

Name:	ECU Label.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	1737
    I just want to be sure I'm using the right software version, before I start changing things. I don't mean to mix up topics, but I also see the word Dirty down in the lower right corner of the Holley V2 software window. Does this mean I have a junk USB cable? It did show Ready once, but 3 other times it says Dirty on the right. I also see 32 FPS on the left bottom corner of the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurbie View Post
    Using the V2 software, I did the "click "Sync With ECU" & "Get ECU Info" (Key-on/USB connected)." and it gave me this:
    That's V2 ECU firmware (LINK).

I just want to be sure I'm using the right software version, before I start changing things.
    I told you how to check your EFI software/ECU firmware versions in post #8.

I don't mean to mix up topics, but I also see the word Dirty down in the lower right corner of the Holley V2 software window. Does this mean I have a junk USB cable? It did show Ready once, but 3 other times it says Dirty on the right. I also see 32 FPS on the left bottom corner of the window.
    That doesn't mean much to the end user. It's software developer information. Just ignore it.

"Dirty" means there's a change that hasn't been saved yet.
    "Clean" means the EFI software is the same as last saved.

"NUM" means you have the "Num Lock" button active on your keyboard.
    (Whether or not you want to use the numerical arrows - 2,4,6,8 navigation.)

"FPS" means Frames Per Second - frequency rate.
    It relates to computer software display graphics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast