Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Do I need to adjust my timing to what's on the display?
    No. Since this is a non-ECU controlled timing application, ignore the Base Timing Table (and anything ECU timing related). I also suggest ECU controlled ignition timing. Without it, you have half an EFI system. But first, work on getting the tune right with fuel only (since that's its current configuration).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Danny help. My mate came over to help today, we can blame him. I told him how I tried to upgrade the controller to version 4 and it did not work. He was playing around in the ECU update through the handheld controller, selected a V3 file. Within seconds of the bar traveling across the screen. The screen went blank. Nothing works at all now. No fuel pump prime. Blank handheld, the whole thing is stuffed. Thoughts please.

You can not lose battery power or laptop/handheld communication during an ECU firmware update. The ECU may need to be sent to Holley, to
    be reflashed at their end. ECU firmware updates must be performed very seriously, and with a properly functioning laptop/handheld computer.
    Although you can try completely disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes. This "resets" some unusual ECU issues.

When doing something as important as an ECU firmware update, my laptop is fully charged, and my vehicle battery trickle charger is on (LINK).
    Remember, you can not lose battery power or laptop communication during an ECU firmware update. If so, the ECU will have to be sent to
    Holley, to be reflashed at their end. ECU firmware updates must be performed very seriously, and with a properly functioning laptop computer.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...rmwarerev1.pdf (How To Update ECU Firmware)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Good news! I fixed it after being told by shops here I had to send it to Holley. I reloaded my computer with V2 software and did a V2 firmware update through the USB port, which Holley says is not used on a Terminator (incorrect). It then did a flash itself and bang, it worked. Now to get stuck into the tweaks.

First, I cannot get the IAC below 14%. Will have a crack at it tomorrow. And it runs in Closed Loop, but above 160°, it still says not Learning. Is my timing OK on a 393 stroker, at 14°? No vacuum advance and not run by the ECU. Webby
    Last edited by Spiderman; 07-04-2016 at 05:58 AM.

First, I cannot get the IAC below 14%.
    You may have to adjust the secondary throttle blades. Adjust the primary & secondary throttle blades so they're equally open.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....9541#post49541 (Additional Information)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....neral-IAC-Info (Read "IAC NOTES")

And it runs in Closed Loop, but above 160°, it still says not Learning.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Scroll down to "Learn Issues, Self-Tuning".)

Is my timing OK on a 393 stroker, at 14°? No vacuum advance and not run by the ECU.
    Need camshaft specifications (duration @ .050").

Played around a bit today, I'm getting closer.

1. I cannot achieve a steady 2% IAC. It fluctuates from 2%-8%. So I put a vacuum gauge on the bottom of the throttle body. It reads 14 inHg and fluctuates about 1/2 psi. So my idle fluctuates about the same. I'm guessing I have a vacuum leak somewhere. I've tried to find the leak, e.g. water spray disconnected, PCV, etc., no change or could it be the IAC adjustment somehow?

2. It is Learning now.

3. I adjusted my timing by using vacuum. Up max then backed it off 3 inHg. My timing is now 16°.

4. Cam specs - Lift: .571"/.577", Duration @ .050: 217°/225°, Centerline: 106°. Mild idle, great all around street, good low end torque.
    Last edited by Spiderman; 07-05-2016 at 12:24 AM.

1. I cannot achieve a steady 2% IAC. It fluctuates from 2%-8%.
    That's fine, it won't be steady. The IAC Position will fluctuate a little bit to maintain the Target Idle Speed RPM.

So I setup IAC etc., went for a drive because temp didn't get above 160°. It never Learned, can I lower the Learn levels? Also, when I came back, I checked the IAC Position, and it was 0 again. So reset and took it for a drive again, came back and it was 0 again with TPS at 1%. Do I keep trying to set it, or is there something wrong? When I drive it too, the AFR Left goes into the the red zone under heavy throttle application.

It never Learned, can I lower the Learn levels?
    Lowering the Learned Compensation Limits % won't cause it to Learn.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Scroll down to "Learn Issues, Self-Tuning".)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....7370#post47370 (Learn Table - Read this thread, especially posts #2, #6 & #11.)

Also, when I came back, I checked the IAC Position, and it was 0 again. So reset and took it for a drive again,
    came back and it was 0 again with TPS at 1%. Do I keep trying to set it, or is there something wrong?
    The TPS Position must be at 0% anytime the engine is at idle. This must be corrected as soon as possible.
    You may have to slightly back-off the idle speed screw (after a TPS AutoSet), so it's not on the verge of 1%.
    The TPS isn't always returning to 0% (it's between 0% & 1%), and activating the IAC Hold Position.
    Ensure your throttle linkage is returning freely, and use a stronger throttle return spring.

When I drive it too, the AFR Left goes into the he red zone under heavy throttle application.
    That's because the ECU didn't "Learn" and self-tune the Base Fuel Table.

Back again Danny. Sorted out the cooling issues. Now I've set the IAC at 4%. I now have two issues.
    1. When I turn the key off, the car runs on and some times blows back through the carbs. Other times it's fine and nothing occurs.
    2. When I quickly hit the throttle, it takes time to return to idle.
    Thanks, Webby

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast