Thread: Which WBO2 should I trust?

Default Which WBO2 should I trust?

I'm running two wideband O2 sensors, one in each header. LC-1 which is hooked up to a electric gauge in the car, and the Holley WBO2 that's hooked up to the ECU. After doing a free air calibration on the LC-1, it now reads 1 AFR rich over what the Holley WBO2 is reporting to the ECU. Obviously for run-ability, I need to know which gauge is correct. I'm thinking the LC-1 WBO2 is right, but was wondering if anyone on here has any input, and if I should replace the Holley WBO2 sensor ($150), or buy an LC-2 ($190) and wire that up instead. Thanks, Jacob
    Last edited by Sneddon; 06-09-2016 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneddon View Post
    After doing a free air calibration on the LC-1, it now reads 1 AFR rich over what the Holley WBO2 is reporting to the ECU. Obviously for run-ability, I need to know which gauge is correct.
    You won't know until you replace one of them. But since you just did a free air calibration on the LC-1 (and it drastically changed), I suspect it's not right.

I'm thinking the LC-1 WBO2 is right, but was wondering if anyone on here has any input, and if I should replace the Holley WBO2 sensor ($150)...
    You didn't mention how old the Holley WBO2 sensor is.

...or buy an LC-2 ($190) and wire that up instead.
    I'd go this route, only if the Holley C950 WBO2 sensor isn't available anymore.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I have a Holley HP system and a LC-1 in the same header. The LC-1 reads about .4 richer than the Holley WBO2, when I lean it to 14.7 with the Holley WBO2. By the look of the plugs and the way the engine feels I'm going to say the Holley is the accurate one. Did you switch the sensors from side to side to see if you have a rich side to the engine?

I don't trust the LC-1 any further than I can throw it. Buy a better wideband O2 kit.

I helped in its early development with a bunch of testing, found problems with their grounding scheme. It causes ground offsets which make it read incorrectly
    they refused to acknowledge the issue, and it's still a problem to this day. And you can read about that issue on many, many forums.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by 81 TransAm View Post
    I have a Holley HP system and a LC-1 in the same header. The LC-1 reads about .4 richer than the Holley WBO2, when I lean it to 14.7 with the Holley WBO2. By the look of the plugs and the way the engine feels I'm going to say the Holley is the accurate one. Did you switch the sensors from side to side to see if you have a rich side to the engine?
    No I haven't tried that, but I most certainly will in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by S2H View Post
    Buy a better wideband O2 kit.
    Any recommendations for a WBO2 kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    You won't know until you replace one of them. But since you just did a free air calibration on the LC-1 (and it drastically changed), I suspect it's not right.
    You didn't mention how old the Holley WBO2 sensor is.
    The Holley & LC-1 WBO2 are both about 6 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneddon View Post
    Any recommendations for a WBO2 kit?
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/534-197 (Holley 534-197 C950 WBO2 Sensor Kit - Bosch WBO2 Sensor)
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/534-188 (Holley 534-188 C950 WBO2 Sensor Kit - NTK WBO2 Sensor)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

The NGK wideband O2 is pretty good. I've used it may times.
    I'm also a fan of the Dynojet Wideband Commander and the AEM Wideband Kit.
    All three of those seem to be pretty reliable & accurate for an externally controlled sensor.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car