Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: DIS Conversion From Distributor

I have one. I just thought someone had a number for me, because the system isn't installed yet, therefore I can't make that measurement.

Upgraded with a CS130 200 amp from the 12SI 94 amp. Already have a 2 AWG wire to the alternator, so good to go.

That's a big upgrade. I had a 12SI alternator a long time ago, and they don't charge well at idle speed. I don't like those old school alternators.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, Moroso vacuum pump, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires

Yeah that was the issue, just couldn't keep up at idle. The 200A is not going to be working too hard maybe 50-70% max, so it should be good to go.

Now that the hard part is done, I've changed my existing Global File that the car was running on before the CNP upgrade. I changed it to use the Holley 36-1 tooth crank sensor, Holley cam sensor which switched the fuel delivery method to sequential injection instead of batch fire. I also set the coil spark dwell to 4.5 ms, and set the timing curve to what I know I had in it with a distributor and saved it as a new file. I made no mods to the fuel curve/table that was in this file which ran with batch fire injection. Is it going to be close enough to start it, or is the tune completely off since it was batch and is now sequential?

UPDATE: I took a shot and it started first crank. I guess I answered my own question!
    Last edited by Paul P; 04-12-2017 at 08:24 PM.

No start and crank sensor isn't seeing any RPM. SYNCING is on the gauge display. I checked the datalog and it's cranking at 130 RPM. I opened the throttle a little and it fired up. Maybe it needs more air? I added a 1/4 turn to the idle screw and did a TPS Autoset. Not sure why it's having cold start issues. What else should I check?
    Last edited by Paul P; 05-10-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    Not sure why it's having cold start issues. What else should I check?
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....6254#post36254 (Good Starting Advice Thread - Especially posts #2, #4 & #6.)

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, Moroso vacuum pump, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires

Checked those links out and have not been having a lot of success. I have the Cranking Fuel down to 10 and the IAC Parked is 80 or higher cold, and I still need to give it a little throttle to start it hot or cold. I've always performed a TPS Autoset when adjusting the throttle position. The IAC when it's running, is right at 0-5% out of gear, and in gear around 15-25%, which I believe is good. The one thing I'm leaning towards is fuel pressure. I have it at 52.5 psi and the injectors are rated at 43 psi. Since I'm unable to pull enough fuel and/or give it enough air, I thought that might be the culprit. Reducing pressure should allow both the IAC Parked & Cranking Fuel ranges to come back to the middle of the adjustment range.

I do see that with a low vacuum engine, Alpha-N might be a better solution or Combo? Is it worth trying? My engine at idle is pulling around 88 kPa.
    Last edited by Paul P; 05-19-2017 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    The one thing I'm leaning towards is fuel pressure. I have it at 52.5 psi and the injectors are rated at 43 psi. Since I'm unable to pull enough fuel and/or give it enough air, I thought that might be the culprit. Reducing pressure should allow both the IAC Parked & Cranking Fuel ranges to come back to the middle of the adjustment range.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Step #2!)

I do see that with a low vacuum engine, Alpha-N might be a better solution or Combo? Is it worth trying? My engine at idle is pulling around 88 kPa.
    You tell me. Try it.

EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    ‒ On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    ‒ When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ..This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    ‒ Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.

The fuel pressure was set with the ECU knowing what it was, and with the injectors I have. I will lower it down and set the actual to 43 psi and see what happens. So no opinion on Alpha-N or Combo vs Speed Density? Is it worth trying really?