Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Random Huge Lean Problem

Sorry, not thinking. Really frustrated. MTS, CTS & TPS all appear to be working properly. Temps on CTS & MTS all appear to be in a normal range. At least not wildly inaccurate. I have never had a vehicle display such erratic behavior that is so hard to diagnose. If was constantly lean I'd suspect air leak, but is not. Hate to admit it, but I'm thoroughly confused by this.

P.S. Does Holley have a program where I can send in the computer or the injectors and have them checked out?

Yes, contact Holley Tech Service (LINK). Although, I'm don't think they service fuel injectors.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Yes, contact Holley Tech Service (LINK). Although, I'm don't think they service fuel injectors.
    Any other ideas or is this the next step?

As a last resort, I'd try reflashing the ECU firmware. If you've already done so, contact Holley Tech Service (LINK).
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....2193#post72193 (EFI Software/ECU Firmware Problems)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Well, sent the computer in, they tested it four times at different times of day and can find nothing wrong with it. On its way back now. Out of ideas. Have absolutely no idea what to do next. If I had a carburetor, I'd install just to see if it made a difference. Do not have $500 for just let's see. Truck & brain dead in water.

Not familiar with the Terminator system, but seems like you checked about everything except for the injectors. Intermittent wire to the injectors sounds like it would do what you've been describing.

As I ordered the Terminator with transmission control, my understanding is it uses the Dominator ECU. I tried to upload the datalog file from my most recent test drive, but it says invalid file and will not upload. Truck still cobbed up.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    As I ordered the Terminator with transmission control, my understanding is it uses the Dominator ECU.
    Yes, the Terminator Kits with transmission control have the Dominator ECU.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Yes, the Terminator Kits with transmission control have the Dominator ECU.
    Update on my truck. As I know my fuel pump was right on the edge of being inadequate, I replaced it. I bought and installed an Accel Thruster 500, part number 75169. I now have more than enough fuel supplied to the system. No change. Truck still misses, goes lean and runs like crap. I now believe my problem is ignition related. I have a little tool called a Champion Firing Indicator (CT-436). You lay it up against a spark plug wire and the little window in the tool flashes in sync with the firing pulse of that wire. I can only use it at an idle of course. At idle the firing pulse on all 8 wires skips a beat periodically. When this occurs on my data monitor the AFR goes to 14 to one. Understandable, as the WBO2 sensor sees a rich mixture because of the misfire. I believe off idle this is magnified and I get the 35-40:1 readings. I do not understand this, as I've replaced all the ignition components other than the wires. Pickup coil in distributor, module, ignition coil, cap, rotor and spark plugs (small cap HEI all GM OEM parts). I'm contemplating getting one of these distributor, Street Fire 5591. I looked at the Hall-Effect dual sync distributor, and I do not want to go to the extra trouble of wiring and reconfiguring my setup. I just want to install the distributor, start it up, set the base timing and drive it. Will this distributor be plug & play with my Terminator/Dominator EFI system? I can not imagine all 8 wires going bad, but to eliminate that possibility if I replace the distributor, I'm going to replace the wires also. Thinking about the MSD 31239 universal set, so I can custom configure the routing. One of the differences I see is the DUI distributor I'm currently running, has the old style reluctor on the distributor shaft. That's the only thing on the distributor I have not replaced. The distributor shaft is almost the same money as a new distributor, so I'm just going to replace it.

I hope to get this fixed soon as I do not have much hair left from pulling it out trying to fix this. What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    I'm contemplating getting one of these distributor, Street Fire 5591. I looked at the Hall-Effect dual sync distributor, and I do not want to go to the extra trouble of wiring and reconfiguring my setup.
    A quote of mine: "I no longer advocate using the Ford TFI or GM small cap HEI distributors, because too many (but not all) Holley EFI users have had problems with them. (This is also corroborated by Holley Tech & one of their EFI Engineers.) The Holley Dual Sync distributor (with two Hall-Effect sensors) is specifically designed and "plug & play" for Holley EFI."
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...3038#post33038 (Detailed Crank Trigger & CNP/DIS Conversion Information & Reasoning)

FYI: Holley EFI now sells their own Dual Sync Hall-Effect distributors (LINK).
    They're a small cap design, "plug & play" with Holley EFI, and no need for a modified Firing Order.
    The crank & cam sensor signals also provide sequential injection capability (MPFI applications).
    It's "plug & play" (into the 10-pin ignition connector on the EFI Main Harness) and requires a CD
    ignition box (Instructions). The MSD 6201 Digital 6A CDI box & 8253 HVC-2 coil are a great match.
    The MSD CD ignition box is wired as shown in the Holley EFI Wiring Manual:
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Figure 11, Page 20)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM7r-DauCak (Holley EFI Dual Sync Distributor - YouTube Tech Video)
    A blank cap (LINK) is available, if the user decides to convert to Coil-Near-Plug/DIS later (no CDI box).
    Of course, this component can also be used as a crank and/or cam sync/oil pump drive unit.

The Custom Ignition Parameters (in System Parameters) for the Holley EFI Dual Sync Distributor:
    Ignition Type ............. ― "Custom"
    Crank Sensor Type ..... ― "1 Pulse/Fire"
    Sensor Type .............. ― "Digital Falling"
    Inductive Delay .......... ― "100.0 usec" ( Synchronization info, adjusted per application.)
    Ignition Reference Angle ― "50°" ( Inherent rotor-phasing of this unit.)
    Cam Sensor Type ........ ― "Single Pulse" ( "Not Used" for TBI, unless CNP ignition.)
    Sensor Type .............. ― "Digital Falling"
    Output Setup Type ..... ― "Points Output" ( CDI box ground trigger.)
    Dwell Time ................. ― "2.0 msec" ( Do not set this to 1.5 msec!)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast