Thread: dadiomalta

dadiomalta Guest

Default dadiomalta

I bought a used Holley 0-7448 to replace the Ford carb on my 1965 Sunbeam Tiger about 25 years ago. After it was fitted the engine stalled every time the car stopped. As the fuel filter was only half full with gas whenever this happened I assumed that there was a problem other than adjusting the idle mixture screws so I went back to the Ford carb. This is now causing problems so I want to refit the Holley. I should add that the stalling problem caused me trouble when the car rolled back and damaged anothe car and as the internet and this site did not exist then.
    Any suggestions on why the fuel filter was never full when the engine stalled?
    Last edited by dadiomalta; 03-17-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: spelling error

Brooksy Guest

Not sure what you mean 'the fuel filter was only half full'. Do you have an in-line fuel filter (is the filter in the fuel line leading up to the carb), or is the filter inside the fitting where it connects to the carburetor?
    By half full, do you mean when you disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor, the fuel bowl is half full or do you really mean the filter itself? The fuel level in the fuel bowl can be adjusted. Do you know the procedure for checking and adjusting the float in the fuel bowl for the correct fuel level? Is the fuel filter clean?
    If that is not the problem, then you may have a fuel pressure problem. Is your fuel pump in good working order?
    If you are getting fuel to the carb, and the fuel in the bowl is the correct level, then you may very well need to adjust the idle mixture or possibly just the idle. Have you done that?
    Sounds like the carb is at least 25 years old now and will naturally need a re-build. You'll also need to check for vacumn leaks and any timing/advance issues.