Thread: Avenger TBI, 4.3L Engine No Start

Default Avenger TBI, 4.3L Engine No Start

Hello. I have an Avenger 550-400 system installed on a 4.3L Vortec V6. Converted to carb style intake, MSD ignition including billet distributor, 6AL rev limiter box, Blaster coil. I've had engine running for 6 hours total and it runs great. Today I had some other work to do on machine where I had to key on/key off a few times. So finally after the task was completed, I keyed on and fuel pump cycled prime, but cut out premature. So, I hooked battery charger to battery thinking possibly low voltage and still nothing. I then hooked handheld controller to CAN Bus and battery positive/negative, it lights up but can't get past the "Syncing With HEFI", failed numerous times I tried. Checked over all my wiring, even busted out the alligator clips and powered small red & red/white stripe wires direct to battery positive. Also the small black wire direct to ground. The large positive/ground wires are hooked to battery, checked both system fuses and they're good. I'm using RPM signal from 6AL to TACH out wire option. Checked and it's making spark. Built jumper to manually make fuel pump run and injectors won't spray, so now what do I do? I'm kinda thinking my ECU is pooched? Any help would be appreciated.

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Scroll down to "Typical No-Start Checks".)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Is the battery fully charged? YES
    Have you performed a TPS AutoSet - When I first installed, I did setup Wizard & yes. It won't let me connect handheld.
    Does the Data Monitor display legitimate cranking RPM? - Cannot connect to ECU with hand held controller.
    Does the Data Monitor display legitimate sensor values? - Cannot connect to ECU with hand held controller.
    Does a Datalog indicate any RPM Errors? - Cannot connect to ECU with hand held controller.
    Keyed +12V red/white wire powered when cranking? - Yes, checked with multimeter and confirmed power while cranking.
    Is the fuel pressure set to proper psi? - If I manually engage pump, psi set to 22 psi.
    Are the fuel injectors spraying fuel? - No.
    Does the fuel pump prime for 5 seconds at key-on? - No.
    Is the ECU controlling timing? - No.
    Does a timing light indicate there's spark/ignition? Yes.
    What does your ignition system consist of? MSD pro billet distributor, 6AL rev limiter, Blaster 2 coil (tried spare ignition box, still no start).
    Correct Ignition Type entered in Ignition Parameters? selected CD ignition.
    Are the spark plugs fuel fouled/wet? No fuel getting to cylinders.
    Are you running in sequential mode? No.
    Is the ignition timing synchronized with the ECU? No.
    Air or Coolant Temp Enrichment Modifiers erroneously set to 0% or 70%, instead of 100%? No.
    The engine won't start if the throttle is opened beyond the "Clear Flood TPS" setting. - Throttle is closed 100%.
    Last edited by Ashman_42; 04-18-2016 at 11:07 AM.

If the fuses & system relay (LINK) check out good, I'm not sure what's wrong. Try completely disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes. This "resets" some unusual ECU issues.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I have a night switch on the ground side of it, guess I can disconnect both posts completely.
    I've triple checked the power situation and all checks out good. Updating the software has to
    be done using a computer or can a micro SD card be inserted into the handheld controller?
    And guessing since I can't sync, I can't upload new software anyways.

Thank you for the help, I guess I'll try lining up another ECU from Holley.
    I'm leaning more & more towards this thing being pooched.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman_42 View Post
    And guessing since I can't sync, I can't upload new software anyways.
    Correct, although I think you're referring to handheld and/or ECU firmware (not EFI laptop software).

Do you have a phone number I can call you at?

If you need phone support, you'll have to call Holley Tech Service (LINK).
    Holley Tech Service: 1-270-781-9741
    Holley Tech Toll Free: 1-866-GO-HOLLEY

Letting it sit overnight must have did some good. I can now connect to the ECU with handheld. I've now run a wire direct to battery from the red/white wire just to see if I had a voltage loss while cranking. Not the issue.

While watching gauges in handheld and cranking rpm stays at "STL", also has "set TPS!". Warning at bottom of main menu, but I've done it, and it seems after a key off cycle, it gives warning again. Even though warning it displayed I can check TPS signal, and see that it goes up & down properly, resting at 0.

I also cut my A30 wire 6" from my ECU and connected it to my MSD gray wire, so there's maybe 10" of wire between the ECU & MSD, still says "STL" while cranking. Maybe updating firmware like the sticky says, will help ECU see my rpm signal? The handheld ECU firmware reads: 00000397.
    Last edited by Ashman_42; 04-18-2016 at 04:22 PM.