Thread: Large cap HEI with HP to control timing.

Default Large cap HEI with HP to control timing.

I've been doing some reading for several days now and have not heard back from Holley support, so I figured I'd ask here.

A customer dropped his truck off to be dyno tuned, and is using Holley HP EFI and has a large cap HEI distributor. 4-pin module. Is there a way to use this distributor, and have HP control the timing? Obviously I would have to lock out the mechanical advance, and remove the vacuum advance. I've read the thread on GM 7 pin HEI but am still a little confused:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....-Large-Cap-HEI

Basically I want to use the pickup in the distributor for HP EFI. Can this be done? Thanks for any help. Jason

Here's a better & more recent thread with pertinent wiring information:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5501#post65501 (Large Cap GM HEI)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & MT 245/45R17 tires.

Danny, I have seen that thread before. Is that referencing a large cap computer controlled distributor, or a mechanical/vacuum advance distributor?

Post #1 of that thread indicates it's an EST (Electronic Spark Timing) Distributor (C.C.C. Computer Command Control).
    Post #5 of that same thread, indicates how to connect the four external wires to the Holley EFI Ignition Connector.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & MT 245/45R17 tires.

OK, I just wanted to double check. So a mechanical/vacuum advanced distributor can not be made to work, or am I missing something obvious? Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@HAP View Post
    So a mechanical/vacuum advanced distributor can not be made to work, or am I missing something obvious?
    Well, can't you install the 7-pin EST ignition module (LINK) into your similar distributor (with the centrifugal/vacuum advance locked out)?

That's the part of the equation that I was missing. I didn't know if it would be that easy or not. Again, thank you for the help.