Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Guy here and still installing Terminator.

Yes, I misinterpreted your post #6. That's why I was asking if they're was a specific diagram for the Holley distributor, because I didn't know CDI box was mandatory. Coil just has power to it, nothing else. Distributor is clipped into the harness nothing else connected, but plug wires.

Quote Originally Posted by bad.samaritan View Post
    Yes, I misinterpreted your post #6.
    Yes, the Holley Dual Sync Distributor is a CD ignition box application for single coil applications.
    The instructions state "if" using a CD ignition box, as opposed to a Coil-Near-Plug or Waste-Spark application.
    It just has two Hall-Effect sensors inside (no ignition module), so something has to fire the single ignition coil.
    Follow the "Ignition Signal Flow Chart" on Figure 11, Page 20 of the Holley EFI Wiring Manual to see what I mean:
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Substitute Crank Trigger with distributor.)

That's why I was asking if they're was a specific diagram for the Holley distributor, because I didn't know CDI box was mandatory.
    The +12V Hall-Effect crank & cam sensors and CD ignition box are wired as shown in the Holley EFI Wiring Manual:
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Figure 11/12, Page 20/21)

Coil just has power to it, nothing else.
    Well, you knew that wasn't going to work.

Distributor is clipped into the harness nothing else connected, but plug wires.
    Yes, but that only provides the crank & cam sensor signals into the ECU. Then the ECU triggers the ignition box.

The Custom Ignition Parameters (in System Parameters) for the Holley EFI Dual Sync Distributor:
    Ignition Type ............. ― "Custom"
    Crank Sensor Type ..... ― "1 Pulse/Fire"
    Sensor Type .............. ― "Digital Falling"
    Inductive Delay .......... ― "100.0 usec" ( Synchronization info, adjusted per application.)
    Ignition Reference Angle ― "50°" ( Inherent rotor-phasing of this unit.)
    Cam Sensor Type ........ ― "Single Pulse" ( "Not Used" for TBI, unless CNP ignition.)
    Sensor Type .............. ― "Digital Falling"
    Output Setup Type ..... ― "Points Output" ( CDI box ground trigger.)
    Dwell Time ................. ― "2.0 msec" ( Do not set this to 1.5 msec!)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Yeah, major screw up on my part. I just ordered an MSD Digital 6AL. The Custom Ignition Parameters you listed, are correct in the software.

At least you didn't waste money on parts you can't use...that would be worse. You just needed an additional part.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    At least you didn't waste money on parts you can't use...that would be worse. You just needed an additional part.
    Also glad I didn't burn anything up. I went through my notes, originally I had wanted to do the MSD 8366, so I did the wiring that way. For some reason (no clue why really) I thought the Holley dual sync distributor was the same or similar. Huge (incorrect) assumption on my part.

I installed the MSD 6AL, and got spark. I set the timing this morning and it fired up on the 2nd try. This video is the 2nd startup with no Learning done yet. I still need to set the Inductive Delay. I had to move my fan controller to make room for the MSD box, so I couldn't run it up to temp until the delay is set and the fans are back up.

Thanks again Danny for all the help.
    https://youtu.be/uKWiGeAkomI

Quote Originally Posted by bad.samaritan View Post
    Also glad I didn't burn anything up. I went through my notes, originally I had wanted to do the MSD 8366, so I did the wiring that way. For some reason (no clue why really) I thought the Holley dual sync distributor was the same or similar. Huge (incorrect) assumption on my part.
    Yes, changing plans during an installation, can be tough.

Thanks again Danny for all the help.
    You're welcome.

Regarding the mounting of the Holley pressure regulator that came with the Terminator kit. Does it make any difference in orientation? I.E. diagram shows the I/O ports on the sides with the return on the bottom. I want to mount it with the I/O ports vertical (using the top one for input), and the return port on the side. Will put a 90° Earl's fitting in the I/O port on the top, and the same for the return on the side. Will run a hose from the aft fitting on the TB, curve it around to the "top" I/O port, attached to the 90 degree hose barb fitting. Attach the return hose to the 90 degree barb fitting on the side, for return to the tank.

I'm not using the frame rail fuel pump, but had a tank custom made by the Modern Mopar Muscle shop in Martinsville, VA. They put a Walbro pump in the tank, and it has supply & return fittings on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ROFCIBC View Post
    Does it make any difference in orientation? I.E. diagram shows the I/O ports on the sides with the return on the bottom.
    Read the instructions. I think the fuel pressure regulator ports are labeled; In, Out & Return.

I see that, but what I'm asking is it possible to turn the regulator so the two I/O ports are vertical? I have some space issues, and need to bring the fuel from the TBI to the regulator using the I/O port on the TOP and a 90° AN fitting. Then use another 90° AN fitting on the return port (which will be on the left side) and go down to the return line.

Image showing location on right side of engine (red box):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pressure regulator mounting 02.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	1812

Detail of regulator showing 90° fittings for input (top) & return (right side):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pressure regulator mounting.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	1813
    Last edited by ROFCIBC; 09-06-2016 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ROFCIBC View Post
    Does it make any difference which way the pressure regulator is mounted?
    No, the fuel pressure regulator can be mounted in any position.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast