Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New & scared!

Default New & scared!

Hi everyone, new here and this is my 2nd Holley EFI attempt. 1st was years ago with the old Pro-Jection 4 with the ECU with knobs and no WBO2 sensor...and was a total disaster!
    Well my car ('71 Nova) is currently going under the full pro touring treatment, which includes 6.0L LS engine, T56 6 speed and Holley HP EFI (550-602), and I gotta say I'm lost!
    I own a body/mechanical shop, but have no custom EFI tuning experience. After down loading the program into my computer, I'm a bit overwhelmed.
    Things I would like to do, is basically get it up & running and have it self-tune, I'd like to be able to use the Holley ECU to operate my fans & fuel pump to start with.
    Any suggestions for a newbie as where to start? Anything else I will need? Car is a month or two from being ready to fire up, just trying to learn now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
    Any suggestions for a newbie as where to start?
    Here's how to avoid 75% of typical problems: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This! (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read This!)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & MT 245/45R17 tires.

Hi everyone, new here and this is my 2nd Holley EFI attempt. 1st was years ago with the old Pro-Jection 4 with the ECU with knobs and no WBO2 sensor...and was a total disaster!
    Well my car ('71 Nova) is currently going under the full pro touring treatment, which includes 6.0L LS engine, T56 6 speed and Holley HP EFI (550-602), and I gotta say I'm lost!
    I own a body/mechanical shop, but have no custom EFI tuning experience. After down loading the program into my computer, I'm a bit overwhelmed.
    Things I would like to do, is basically get it up & running and have it self-tune, I'd like to be able to use the Holley ECU to operate my fans & fuel pump to start with.
    Any suggestions for a newbie as where to start? Anything else I will need? Car is a month or two from being ready to fire up, just trying to learn now. Thanks.
    Well you're in the right place.
    The Help Contents of the software is a great place to start. Pick a section you have concerns with and read it, understand it, DO IT AGAIN. Most of all the initial startup question have been asked and answered a 100x over here in the forums. The search function can be a little fussy to get use to, but once you use it a few times you will get the hang of it.

If you feel overwhelmed, there are individual PDFs that you can find that may subdue that feeling a bit.

Danny & S2H are tremendous resources for the forum, and Danny is almost as fast as lightening when it comes to responses.
    Look through the sticky's and use the search function. 9x out of 10 your problem has been previously addressed.

Some of the repetitive issues I have seen with LS engines, is to make sure you have the corresponding crank & cam sensors for the engine you have and be sure to order the correct wiring harness. If you have a Frankenstein setup to where you are using LS1/LS2 parts combo, make sure you have the right parts. I have seen lots of mishaps on the forums with pin-outs reversed, due to incorrect sensor or trying to adapt the wrong wiring harness. IT WILL MAKE YOU PULL YOUR HAIR OUT.

I personally started looking though the forums and messing with software a full year before I had my motor. It has really paid off for me. I had very, very few problems and they were minor. My motor started right up and was idling pretty decent from the very first start. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys, that's reassuring. My engine is a bit of a "Frankenstein" as it's a LQ4 6.0L with LS3 heads, custom Texas Speed cam, Holley 42 lb/hr EV1 injectors, and TPS sheet metal intake intake. guess I will start reading this forum...LOL!

Another quick question. My HP EFI cam with the V2 2.0.4 software, should I use that or the V4 version? I downloaded the V4 stuff on to my laptop before I got the EFI just to look around.

My HP EFI cam with the V2 2.0.4 software, should I use that or the V4 version?
    Yes, use V4 from the start.

I downloaded the V4 stuff on to my laptop before I got the EFI just to look around.
    Yes, the EFI laptop software & ECU firmware must both be V4.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & MT 245/45R17 tires.

See you already lost me. I was under the understanding everything was done on laptop, and downloaded to the ECU. So now I have to do an ECU firmware update to run V4, before I even start?

See you already lost me. I was under the understanding everything was done on laptop, and downloaded to the ECU. So now I have to do an ECU firmware update to run V4, before I even start?
    Yes, the software is for your laptop, and the firmware is for your ECU or Touchscreen.

Software & Firmware Versions:
    Software: click "Help" tab (top toolbar) & "About Holley EFI".
    Firmware: click "Sync With ECU" & "Get ECU Info" (Key-on/USB connected).
    The latest software & firmware can be downloaded here:
    https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection (Holley EFI Technical Library)
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...r10546rev1.pdf (HP & Dominator Quick Start Guide)
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...rmwarerev1.pdf (How To Update ECU Firmware)
    Before updating firmware, ensure the current Global Folder is saved somewhere, since it will be erased from the ECU.

Latest V4 EFI Software & ECU Firmware:
    The latest Holley EFI V4 software & firmware can be downloaded HERE.
    Read the V4 Software Overview document HERE, or in the EFI software "Help" Contents.
    Successfully install the new V4 EFI software (laptop), before installing the V4 ECU firmware.
    Ensure the Holley EFI software is not open and the ECU is not powered on/connected when installing the new software.

EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    ‒ On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    ‒ When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ..This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    ‒ Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual)

Thanks Danny. I have a feeling I will be picking your brain a lot, once I get a little closer.

I understand. Don't forget to read the links we provided, and search this forum.

(Please don't type your posts like you're texting. It takes me a long time to edit it. At least use Spell Check before posting.)

OK Danny. So I started wiring the car this week. I have a new American Auto Wire classic update kit, and I'm using Auto Meter Phantom gauges. On the Holley 550-602 harness, I noticed no output for a tach. I'm assuming I have to assign a pin for that on one of the outputs? If so, how do I go about it?
    Next question is I totally don't understand timing & fuel tables. I started with the LS1/Auto base calibration that was in the files. What I don't understand is the timing vs MAP. How do I know how to set the base timing curve before/after MAP comes into play. And the fuel table I'm just lost. Other than that I feel like I'm getting a grasp on it. Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast