Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holley Analog 1st Generation

Throttle body is on the truck and wiring is being ran. Old fuel lines and Carter pump pulled. Got out Holley pump and other fitting to run in, new fuel lines tomorrow. Temperature sensor suppose to be here tomorrow as well.

I've been following this, good work!

Temp sensor is in and I have been working on the fuel line redo. I would of got it done today, but the wife had some work in the yard plans. Those are done now, so I will have some free time to get back at it tomorrow. Here are a few shots of the truck.

20150422_153002 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

20160405_172359 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

Fuel tank is 15 gallons, and is direct gravity feed going to a shut off valve and filter on a 3/8" line. I had a single line now the Holley pump will be put back on with return line.

20160405_191108 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

20160405_191114 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

20160405_172415 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

Yes, I have more vacuum lines to block out. Got to do some mods to the kickdown lever as well, for it to fit.

Been doing a few more things around the house, and to my old Comet GT. I just about finished up the wiring last night, but ran out of time to test it. But knew I wasn't getting power to the fuel pump from the relay. Went out in the shop today to see if it would even fire. I decided to use my original switched wire for the fuel pump to see if it would even work. Fuel pressure was bouncing between 13 & 14 psi, with the return side bouncing from 1 to 3 psi. I will need to crank the regulator down to make sure the psi stays steady. With such a small cam and looking at what others with engines similar to mine have done I wasn't planning on going over 13 psi.

I got my oldest son in the truck to fire it up for a test start to make sure the ECU would work. The injectors were spraying but it wasn't firing. It did sound like it was putting a drain on the battery. (The battery box is getting a revamp so the battery is only hooked up by jumper cables) I grabbed the throttle from under hood to open it all the way to see if clear flood mode would work and the injectors stopped firing like they were suppose to. Then it jumped to life and idled for a few seconds then died. I fired it back up a few minutes later and it idled but after a little bit it would start to die. But a quick tap on the throttle and it was fine again.

I will be testing the wires to the fuel pump and sorting and wrapping the other wires to go neatly under the dash. Leaving a trail of wrapped wires going to the control box sitting on the seat. I wanted enough length so I could move it where ever I wanted/needed it.

I have heard of some ECUs having a bad transistor for the fuel pump because they blew out, that's why I went straight for the relay while wiring it. IF that is the case and the ECU still works ever where else I will have to make a secondary system that shuts down by the key, has a manual kill switch and wire in a Ford inertia switch too for the fuel pump. But I won't know if that is the case until I fully test everything, TPS signal, voltage, etc.

I do feel much better now knowing that all of this swapping wasn't for nothing. I do have the vacuum gauge ready for testing but will be installing a air/fuel ratio gauge for tuning help, and if I travel with the truck can make changes as I go if needed easy. I'm looking at two different gauges right now. One is a single, one is a single gauge but is dual sensors. I'm thinking a single one may be fine as I can't adjust each bank any way.

Monday, I will be looking for brackets to secure the fuel line better and tonight sort out the rest of the wiring so it's neat.

20160409_143532 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

20160409_143540 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

20160409_143555 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

I got sidetracked with waiting to hear when I was going back to work, working on the wife's car and when I went to fire up my 4x4 that the engine was locked up. I got both of those issues fixed so now I am back on my 52 Ford.

The first time I checked my relay I put in the fuel pump. (checking with a test light) I had power from the red wire from the ECU like I was suppose to going to the relay and I had hot 12v coming from the battery to the input on the relay. I would get nothing on the output wire coming from the relay to the fuel pump.

(relay pin out red wire=85 / green wire=86 / power wire from battery to relay=30 / from relay to fuel pump=87)

Yesterday when I tested everything again, I got power though it like it was suppose to be. Went to town to get a add a circuit. It plugs into where the fuse goes and allows you to add one fuse. I used it to bypass the fuse add the two wires from the relay with a fuse inline without cutting the wiring I had already run.

Time I got back from town and hooked it up to test again I got nothing. It may be a bad relay, I will have to get another one a test it out, also test out the wires end to end with out a relay. I have the red and green wire still hooked up to the relay with the top wires hooked to nothing. The fuse is back in to the original keyed switch setup.

I was getting it to start but unless I gave it the gas I wouldn't stay running. So after I routed all the wires out of the way and wrapped them I decided to get everything hooked back up and try the quick tune method. I got the tach under the dash hooked up and the vacuum gauge under the hook hooked back up. I got my dad to go watch the gauge under the hood for me. Took it up to 3000 rpm and held it while adjusting mid range. After that as per instructions I adjusted the idle.

The truck runs and idles great now. I even took it for a very short test drive down the road. Backed up 4 times turning around. It never hesitated or had any problems. I do like the fact if I ever get to take it to a show I can unplug the ecu and just take it with me in a backpack walking around.

Now I will be looking more into the fuel pump wiring to see if it's the ECU that has problems or if it's the relay. If it's the ECU I will just wiring up a manual kill switch and a inertia switch for just in case.

Another item on my hit list is a air/fuel ratio gauge so I can make on the fly adjustments better if needed.

Here is as shot of the ecu sitting on the seat for now with the new seat cover we put on last night to test fit. It wouldn't fit the mini truck seat I had, but it fit the original seat fine so the original seat went back in.

20160416_223706 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

I still got to get the scanner hooked back up to put up the original instructions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12