Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holley Analog 1st Generation

Default Holley Analog 1st Generation

I just got one of these units and have been reading up on what I can find about them. I have found several good tips here going though the threads and on other forums on how to setup, test & tune. I have also looked up lots of dead forums & links though the web archive including Holley's site, as it was in the mid to late 90's. I saved all of that to a Word document for future reference, but there is still a couple of things I would like to know.

I think this is a first generation. It has the slick box with dip switches inside. Later on if I wanted to swap to the newer 2D box that is still available, does the harness plug right in to the same throttle body?

What changes were made when they swapped to the different larger control box? The one with ridges/heat sink top made into it.

Is there a chart for the fuel tables that you can look at and figure out the percentage on paper, the machine can be altered by turning the knobs? Or does this unit figure out it's own fuel tables based on input it gets? I was thinking it had a base chart and you just altered it by the analog knobs.

Is there a big difference in the tables for the fuel charts between big block & small block mode?

I'm looking at putting it on the SO 5.0 in my 52 Ford or putting it on my 1980 4x4 Ford with 351M.

I got it cheap enough, just wanted to experiment with it as I like to tinker. I it came with the original instruction sheet as well. I head home from work tomorrow, so I have only looked at it so far in pictures and I plan on ordering a fuel pump for it tonight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	577 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	1554

Finally got it in my hands and making a list of what I need to try it out. Date on the instructions and on the throttle body is 1993. So I'm guessing this is a very early unit. When I get the time, I will scan in the original instructions to PDF, as I was unable to find a set floating around the internet. Even using Google advanced search "filetype:pdf" along with others key words and document types.

As of right now, I'm looking for the correct type of Weather-Pack connection for the TPS, Injectors and the Sensors, as they are missing from the harness. The Harness only has the connections to the box, but the wires are still plenty long enough. So after finding out what will work, I can start to correctly fix it & splice them in.

On my setup in my '52 Ford, I'm running a OLD MSD 6A Box. It has the old design on it. (It's not one of the retro ones they came out with, it's a old original unit.) The original instructions say to hook straight to the tach output. I think the tach adapter (that some say is needed and I have read about in some threads), is only if you are using magnetic pickup wires? I'm using a Duraspark 2 setup.

Also on throttle body adapters for the intake. I'm getting ready to order one in a couple of days. I see some set the throttle body all the way back, some are in the middle. I'm using a older intake. It's a high rise single plane, but has a small ports inside. It was made during the 70s gas crunch. The idea was for a tunnel ram with small ports for a dense charge to improve economy. The only problem was it wouldn't fit under a lot of stock hoods. So placement isn't a problem on my intake, like it would be on some dual planes. But is there any preferred mounting area or does it not really matter?

Scanned in PDF of the 1993 instructions coming soon.

Some pictures of inside the ECU, and sticker about the rocker switches inside from the bottom of the ECU.

20160323_181751 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

20160323_181807 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

20160323_181812 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

My adapter is in and later today I will be hooking everything up to test it out. I don't have a temp sensor yet, but it's on the way. For just a quick run in the yard will this really mess the system up, or will the ECU just think it's cold and stay in cold mode? Could cold mode be bypassed with a resistor, making the ECU think the engine is up to temp?

Quote Originally Posted by ADOR View Post
    For just a quick run in the yard will this really mess the system up, or will the ECU just think it's cold and stay in cold mode?
    You must use the coolant temperature sensor! Or else the ECU remains at -40°F, and runs the engine excessively rich. Don't risk engine damage, it's not worth it. Purchase & install the coolant temperature sensor (LINK).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" Dart SBF, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

That is why I asked about running a resistor to trick the ECU to thinking it's a different temp. I have been doing a lot of research on this setup before bolting it on. From a older HP book (1994) on these systems I found out resistance changes from 10,000 Ohms at 20°F to 200 Ohms at 200°F. I know I will be keeping a couple of resistors in the tool box just in case this ever needs to be bypassed while I'm on the road side.

I keep finding mixed reviews/opinions of needing a tach adapter with the MSD 6A Box as well. I guess I will find that out soon enough as well.

Doing some work tonight trimming the gasket, ordered the temp sensor, fitting it all to the new base. Got looking at the kick down lever, and knew I was going to have to do some work to it. Working on straightening out the previous owner damage right now. It needs to look like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46745d1309309357-starting-vehicle-thats-sat-5-years-throttlebodyinjection2.jpg 
Views:	525 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	1563

Mine looks like this. I removed what looks like the original bolt screwed into a lower hole on the kick down, working on shaping it like the original, including screw placement.

20160331_191628 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

20160331_191637 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

Well got that part in better shape, sorting the harness, test fit later tonight or tomorrow.

2016-04-01_11-53-55 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

Has anyone run a fan on their ECU? I've seen some people recommend it. If so, how did you do your setup?

Does anyone know the correct name for the connector used on the old round cap Pro-Jection that goes on the harness? If I can't find the right one, I may have to change it to a Weather-Pack 4 pin square I have on hand. Since the pins are offset, this may be a 8 pin connector with only half the slots.

20160402_225515 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr

20160402_225509 by Safjist Nipnog, on Flickr
    Last edited by ADOR; 04-02-2016 at 11:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast