Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terminator LS Issues

Default Terminator LS Issues

Hi. New here, needing some help.

I recently built a 5.3L for my 93 Chevy C1500. Built it from the ground up, so I thought it would be cool to run Holley's Terminator LS EFI for the truck engines (PN 550-622) because I didn't have any factory wiring. The engine is a 5.3L bored out to a 5.7, mild Comp cam, stock truck intake, stock heads with the exception of Comp 1.8 roller rockers, Comp valve springs, and Comp push rods. It's got MSD Street Fire coils, a Summit Racing 85 mm throttle body (cable operated), and long tube Schoenfeld headers with true dual exhaust (WBO2 sensor on the right header in the location Schoenfeld put the bung in).

Truck ran pretty well for the first few months, a couple issues here & there that my dad & I attributed to some fine tuning things. I just put the new rockers in and found that my knock sensor wires had fell between my manifold and the head when I put the intake on, causing a long time vacuum leak that I never knew about and likely threw off the tune. Fixed it and moved on. Here's my problem. Lately the truck will occasionally startup, sputter, lean out & die. It will do this a few times before it sorts itself out & runs fine. This is only on start up, once it's running, it runs great. It's somewhat intermittent as well.

A second question regarding GCF configuration when you first start the programming. You go through the screens telling the handheld what you are running, except when you get to the displacement screen and choose either 4.8L/5.3L, 5.7L, or 6.0L. I choose 5.3L because those are the injectors I have. However, when you choose what injectors you have, the Delphi ones are not an option. Kinda curious what to do here or if something happened to my particular unit.

Sorry for the long post, just want you guys to have all the relevant information. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 70CamaroRS View Post
    Lately the truck will occasionally startup, sputter, lean out & die. It will do this a few times before it sorts itself out & runs fine. This is only on start up, once it's running, it runs great. It's somewhat intermittent as well.
    In the Holley EFI software (LINK), look at the Coolant Temperature Enrichment % Table
    and the Air Temperature Enrichment % Table (both are in the Fuel ICF - Fuel Modifiers).
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....6649#post66649 (Coolant Temperature Enrichment % Table Tuning)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....7913#post67913 (Air Temperature Enrichment % Table Tuning)

Open the Holley EFI software "Help" Contents ("Help" drop down menu), and read "Step-By-Step Beginners Tuning".

EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    ‒ On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    ‒ When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ..This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    ‒ Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual)

A second question regarding GCF configuration when you first start the programming. You go through the screens telling the handheld what you are running, except when you get to the displacement screen and choose either 4.8L/5.3L, 5.7L, or 6.0L. I choose 5.3L because those are the injectors I have. However, when you choose what injectors you have, the Delphi ones are not an option. Kinda curious what to do here or if something happened to my particular unit.
    If a parameter as important as fuel injectors, isn't listed in the handheld controller, use the laptop EFI software to enter the correct information.

Your Terminator ECU is an HP ECU, when a USB cable is connected. Download the Holley V3 EFI software to your laptop (LINK),
    open the software with USB cable (LINK) connected, click on "USB Link" to go "Online" with the ECU, and select "Get From ECU".
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK, I think I understand the tuning regarding the coolant temp & air temp. I just downloaded the software, and I'm not finding where you can change injector type.
    Last edited by 70CamaroRS; 03-16-2016 at 10:30 PM.

I just downloaded the software, and I'm not finding where you can change injector type.
    The Fuel System & Fuel Injector Information is in Engine Parameters (System ICF).
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about where it says what group of injectors, Group 2, Group 4, etc. The choice for the Delphi Multec 2 isn't shown when selecting the 4.8L/5.3L displacement. I'm not seeing in the program where to fix that.

Another note regarding the startup & die situation. It will do it at all temps too. Did it when it was completely cold this morning, and also later this afternoon when the temp was probably around 150°-160°. Thanks for your help so far.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about where it says what group of injectors, Group 2, Group 4, etc.
    What does "Group 2, Group 4" mean? This is an MPFI application, right?

The choice for the Delphi Multec 2 isn't shown when selecting the 4.8L/5.3L displacement. I'm not seeing in the program where to fix that.
    If using fuel injectors that are not in the drop down list, the end user must ascertain their specification data. Holley has provided the Injector Off Time Data for all their fuel injectors. This data is entered into the EFI software, in Engine Parameters. If using other brand injectors, it's sometimes difficult to obtain these values and/or with the proper voltage curve.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...owdatarev2.pdf (Holley EFI Injector Flow & Off Time Data)

Sorry for the confusion. I'm using stock 5.3L truck injectors.
    On page 23, it shows exactly what I'm describing.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10762rev1.pdf
    The groups are for types of injectors (Bosch, EV1, EV6, etc).

I don't use the handheld controller for configuration or tuning changes.
    So if you can't find your injectors using the instructions, you'll have to use a laptop.
    Open the "Help" Contents (top Toolbar), and click on "Injector Flow Data".
    The Injector Off Time Curves are listed for most GM LSx part number fuel injectors.

Awesome. I'll work on all of this, and hopefully it will work my kinks out. Thanks for all your help.

Well I seem to have hit some issues. I updated the ECU firmware and the 3.5" Touchscreen firmware as well, so it all functions. Now I tried to save the current Global Folder from the truck on my computer, but something happened and it disappeared so I'm back to square one. I used the Custom Calibration on the computer program called 5.3L LSx Drive-By-Wire because it was the closest to what I have. I removed the Drive-By-Wire part of it, and now the truck will start, but won't keep running. I don't think I'm too far off from having it running. Any more help you can give on this situation?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast