Thread: Initial Startup - Installing Terminator EFI on a New/Rebuilt Engine

Question Initial Startup - Installing Terminator EFI on a New/Rebuilt Engine

I'm sorry for posting a new thread when I know that one already exists for this, but I've looked through 3 subgroups and can't find it.
    What additional considerations or steps need to be considered when you rebuild an engine AND install the Terminator EFI at the same time? For some, with flat tappet cams, there will be additional steps. Myself, I have a roller cam, so I don't need to worry as much about cam lobes and running the engine up as soon as it starts, but feel free to include that in your replies because others may find it beneficial for their builds.

My biggest concern is with setting timing. I will be using the timing control feature with a small-cap GM distributor. Having not started the engine yet, I know I'll be trying to find base timing first, before I can sync it with the ECU. Any and all tips are appreciated.

You should initially synchronize the ignition timing by cranking the engine with the fuel injector
    harness disconnected. This step should be accomplished, before starting the engine for the first time.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...r10546rev1.pdf (Quick Start Guide - Page 5)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ing-Holley-EFI (Ignition Timing Synchronization)

If you're cranking the engine (with the injector harness disconnected), sync at 15° or whatever your Cranking Timing is.
    If you're idling the engine (without disconnecting anything), sync at 25° or whatever your idle timing on your Timing Table is.

FYI: If you're unsure about the initial distributor installation/positioning, or you'd like to verify the base timing before starting the engine, it's suggested to disconnect the fuel injector harness and crank the engine while viewing the Cranking Timing with a timing light. This prevents the engine from starting, but still allows you to adjust & confirm the base timing (engine safety). When the Cranking Timing is correct (synchronized), the timing at idle will be too.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks Danny. That worked like a charm!

Do I need to sync my timing, even if I have my stock coil & stock distributor not being controlled by ECU?

No. Since this is a non-ECU controlled timing application, ignore the Base Timing Table (and anything ECU timing related).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.