Thread: New Product Request - HEFI I/O Interface Box

Default New Product Request - HEFI I/O Interface Box

I assume Holley R&D guys read the forum?

I'm starting to run out of I/O pins, but I notice there are many more inputs/outputs configurable in the software than there are physical pins, which got me thinking... would it be possible to invent a stand-alone I/O Interface box for Holley EFI systems?

What I mean is, a separate box/module that has:

• J3 & J4 connectors on it (so it uses the same 558-403 & 558-404 accessory harnesses); and
    • Power and Ground inputs (with a couple of rectifiers inside for filtered +5v / +12v / Low references); and
    • A CAN connection back to the ECU.

This could be used to add 52 input/output pins to any ECU, in fact, depending on how much data the CAN Bus can support, you could add as many of these modules as you want.

I can't see why it wouldn't be compatible with existing hardware (although I'm sure it would require some software support with a firmware update)?

The other advantage is much less wiring, we could mount one of these modules in the under-hood fuse panel, one behind the instrument panel, one in a trunk-mounted fuse panel (etc.), then all we'd need to do is run a twisted pair CAN Bus connection between each box and the ECU. All the associated wiring would then be done locally instead of running great bundles of wires throughout the car. Thoughts?
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    I assume Holley R&D guys read the forum?
    No. If you want to contact a Holley EFI engineer, it won't happen here. You must call Holley Tech Service (LINK).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Thanks Danny, but I don't think I'll be calling them from Australia. I'll have to see if I can find an email address for them?

Do you know if they're open to suggestions like this, or am I more likely to get told to MYOB?
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    I'll have to see if I can find an email address for them?
    https://www.holley.com/support/support_request/ (Online Tech Help/Suggestions)

Do you know if they're open to suggestions like this, or am I more likely to get told to MYOB?
    You'll soon find out, but don't expect anything.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I sent tech support a message via the link you provided, thanks. I'll update this thread with any reply I receive.
    After I sent the above, I was searching around and discovered my idea wasn't quite as original as I first thought.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31-001_1024-400x300.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	1512
    http://gaugeart.com/product/gaugeart...can-converter/

Almost exactly as I described above, except it only has 8 inputs (6 analog or switch inputs & 2 temperature inputs) plus a sensor ground & reference +5V.

At this stage I was getting my hopes up, until I read that Holley products are not on their list of compatible ECUs. Although it says "Switches can be configured to allow a data rate of 250 kb/s, 500 kb/s, or 1000 kb/s and 11 bit or 29 bit addresses". Does that fall within Holley or Racepak's CAN language?
    Andrew

CAN Language is not generic, it's specific to each manufacturer.
    CAN = Communications Area Network.

It's not like saying it's speaking English or French.
    It's like saying it's the telephone portion of the communication device.
    The actual language being used over the CAN Bus is determined by the product manufacturer.
    And Holley uses its own Proprietary Language.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

S2H, thanks for posting that CAN Bus info time & time again. I'm just not motivated to do so.

Feel free to just copy & paste like usual, on most other things we repeat over & over. LOL!
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

I forgot to update this thread, my apologies.

I received a blunt reply from Holley suggesting I purchase their Digital Dash (as it has 12 additional I/Os) and that's all it said, not even a 'thanks for the suggestion'.

So I replied asking for specs on their CAN protocol, so I could build my own interface, and was told they "cannot provide that information to customers".
    Andrew