Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Member. Some questions please.

I'm at 17" at 650 RPM with 228° @ .050" 107 in a 296 Y-block.

Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator to be at 43 psi, not running?
    Is the timing mark right? As an old balancer may spin on the hub to give a false timing.

Mine fouled up plugs regardless of what I did, until I transferred the Learn Table. I now have plugs at biscuit brownish.

As for the stalling, mine fluctuated below 2000 rpm above idle, and wouldn't hold steady and the AFR gauge fluctuated with it. So I'd say between the fuel table and ignition curve, that was the bulk of the issue for mine. Though another thing to consider is the manifold, there is a test "hotrod network" did with the Terminator against a HP750, and they found with the Terminator it had a distribution fault which they couldn't tune out, and it seems the Terminator works better on a single plane manifold. Therefore an open spacer may help too.

Nice ride too mate.

2. Default

Yes Danny, the base calibration is Street/Strip. I did mention that. I don't have a laptop yet, so I was doing what I could with the base calibration. Street/Strip should be able to handle my combination. It's hardly radical. Maybe Holley needs better calibration to pick from. As you say, I'm done trying with the handheld controller. I will let you know how the tuning goes with the laptop. Cheers.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CK & his '55 TBird View Post
    I'm at 17" at 650 RPM with 228° @ .050" 107 in a 296 Y-block.
    Thanks CK. Your vacuum is good at idle, mine sucks (not enough). Ha Ha Manifold is single plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Stop running the engine until you lean the Base Fuel Table in the idle area! Is your fuel pressure set at 43 psi?
    Yes, fuel pressure is 43 psi. I have a fuel pressure gauge inline before the fuel pressure regulator. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
    Yes Danny, the base calibration is Street/Strip. I did mention that.
    But which camshaft size did you select with the handheld controller (GCF Wizard)? I'm suggesting you select the largest camshaft size.

Thinking the WBO2 sensor may be fouled as well. The engine is 393" Cleveland, Comp Cam 291, THR7 235° @ .050" hydraulic roller Thumpr.
    It's also possible the wideband O2 sensor has failed.
    Your situation seems very similar to these threads:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ning-very-rich!
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....sue-sputtering
    See if you're experiencing the same thing - wideband O2 sensor failure.

Can you upload the last "known to be good" Global Folder to determine if it's in the tune?
    If the Learn Table values are corrupted from a defective WBO2 sensor, the Learn Table must be cleared.
    If the engine runs properly every time you upload a "known to be good Global Folder", maybe the WBO2 sensor is defective.
    If so, try running the engine in Open Loop mode to ignore the WBO2 sensor. If it continues to run fine, it's a WBO2 sensor issue.

You don't need to clear the Learn Table if you upload a new base calibration or a "known to be good" Global Folder.
    (A base calibration is what's used to create your Global Folder, so don't get confused by the Holley EFI terminology.)
    You can't just disable Closed Loop and test drive the vehicle. You must clear the Learn Table of the corrupted values, or upload the last "known to be good" Global Folder.

Ensure you're using the latest EFI software & ECU firmware (Link); it has "Oxygen Sensor Control Updates" (Link - HEFI_1589.eep).
    Also, ensure there aren't any exhaust leaks upstream of the WBO2 sensor, and there's sufficient length of exhaust piping beyond the WBO2 sensor.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Scroll down to "Typical Idle/Running Issues".)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ension-Harness (More information in "Wideband O2 Sensor Notes")
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

5. Default

Hi Danny. I'm using the Street/Strip for camshafts over 225° @ .050" is that right? Or am I missing something? I will read through all links you posted. If I reload the Street/Strip in the Wizard, what do I do with the throttle screw? It could be anywhere now? ECU firmware 00000587, FILE TB185SB245CM. Am I able to download a better base calibration to suit my camshaft and low vacuum, to an SD card and load it through the handheld controller? Thanks.
    Last edited by knightrider; 01-09-2016 at 05:53 AM.

I'm using the Street/Strip for camshafts over 225° @ .050" is that right? Or am I missing something?
    Is that the largest camshaft size in the GCF Wizard menu? I don't have the Terminator EFI, so I need your input here.

If I reload the Street/Strip in the Wizard, what do I do with the throttle screw? It could be anywhere now?
    Leave it alone until you get the engine idling properly. I'd leave the IAC valve blocked off for the time being.

ECU firmware 00000587, FILE TB185SB245CM.
    Thanks for clarifying that. I believe that's the largest base calibration available, which is lean in the idle & lower regions of the Base Fuel Table, but enriched at high load & WOT. So something other than the base calibration is wrong. You may have a defective WBO2 sensor. Temporarily disable Closed Loop and manually tune the idle area with the laptop EFI software. See post #28.

Am I able to download a better base calibration to suit my camshaft and low vacuum, to an SD card and load it through the handheld controller?
    If you're using the largest camshaft size base calibration, then there isn't a better one available. However, it's possible for another Terminator EFI user to email you their Global Folder, which may be better than a base calibration. (A base calibration is what's used to create your Global Folder, so don't get confused by the Holley EFI terminology.)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

7. Default

I will have to go get myself a laptop. Would be nice if I download a better base calibration to suit my camshaft & low vacuum to an SD card, and load it through the handheld controller. Was also considering fitting a carburetor just to make sure everything else is right. The low vacuum has me concerned. Engine is very responsive above 2500 RPM. Thanks for your help so far.

The low vacuum has me concerned.
    Your size camshaft will only produce about 10 inHg of vacuum at idle (LINK). It will be worse if it's running too rich or too lean. Mine only makes 12 inHg at idle, no idling problems.

Engine is very responsive above 2500 RPM.
    This indicates to me, that the idle area of the Base Fuel Table needs to be tuned.

Have you tried altering the Coolant Temperature Enrichment? This can be done with the handheld controller.

Quote Originally Posted by CK & his '55 TBird View Post
    Have you tried altering the Coolant Temperature Enrichment? This can be done with the handheld controller.
    This is a good idea, if it's too rich when the engine is cold. However, the Closed Loop Compensation should still modify & correct the rich AFR.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast