Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knightrider
    • Dec 2015

Hi Danny. Ran the engine again, going a little better, still cutting out, slow idle. The IAC Position is always at 30%. Shouldn't it go to 100% if the engine is going to stall, to try and maintain the correct idle speed? Idle drops as low as 500 rpm, IAC still at only 30%. Target idle is 900 rpm. Cheers.

Sent from phone, forgot that did TPS AutoSet again, it's now working still idling slow, rich & stalls, but the IAC did go to 100% to try to keep the idle. Starting to frustrate me now. Cheers.

Hi Danny. Can you tell me if I adjust the idle screw multiple times, and reset the TPS each time, so it reads 0%, how do you know where the throttle is in relation to factory settings? Cheers.
    Last edited by knightrider; 01-05-2016, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• Danny Cabral
      Administrator
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by knightrider View Post
      Sent from phone, forgot that did TPS AutoSet again, it's now working still idling slow, rich & stalls, but the IAC did go to 100% to try to keep the idle.
      That's because the idle TPS Position wasn't at 0%, hence activating the IAC Hold Position.
      http://forums.holley.com/showthread....8315#post48315 (Additional Information)

Can you tell me if I adjust the idle screw multiple times, and reset the TPS each time, so it reads 0%, how do you know where the throttle is in relation to factory settings?
      No, but it doesn't matter, because after installation, it will be a different setting for every engine.
      http://forums.holley.com/showthread....neral-IAC-Info (IAC Information)
      May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
      '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, Eagle 3.470" forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, Wiseco 4.200" forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA H/R camshaft, Trick Flow R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes SS dual 2.5" exhaust, SS off-road X-pipe, SS shorty headers, OEM smog pump converted vacuum pump, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, highly modified Ford 4R70W transmission, FTI 9.5"/3000 stall/triple disc TCC, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers trans crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.73 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

• knightrider
        • Dec 2015

OK thanks. Not sure what to try next, may try opening the throttle set screw some more. I did even try setting the RPM activation to 2000 rpm, made no different to the idle. So I changed it back to 0. It's acting like the MAP sensor isn't working, or reading very low vacuum. Idle AFR goes as low as 10:1 before stalling. Cheers.

Comment

• Danny Cabral
          Administrator
          • Dec 2009

I did even try setting the RPM activation to 2000 rpm, made no different to the idle. So I changed it back to 0.
          What are you referring to here? You'll have use the proper Holley EFI software terminology.
          '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, Eagle 3.470" forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, Wiseco 4.200" forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA H/R camshaft, Trick Flow R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes SS dual 2.5" exhaust, SS off-road X-pipe, SS shorty headers, OEM smog pump converted vacuum pump, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, highly modified Ford 4R70W transmission, FTI 9.5"/3000 stall/triple disc TCC, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers trans crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.73 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

• knightrider
            • Dec 2015

Hi Danny, it's on page 31, 32.2.4 RPM activation. I guess it's only for manual tuning below the set rpm. Cheers.
            Last edited by knightrider; 01-06-2016, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• Danny Cabral
              Administrator
              • Dec 2009

Hi Danny, it's on page 31, 32.2.4 RPM activation.
              Yes, the Closed Loop RPM Activation should be zero for most street performance applications.
              http://documents.holley.com/199r10653rev9.pdf (Terminator EFI Manual - Page 31)

Comment

• knightrider
                • Dec 2015

Do I or can I update my software as I bought this kit about 1 1/2 years ago?

Starting to chase my tail with this setup as when it fouls the plugs the HEI distributor can then miss & cross-fire. I think it's not liking the cam as I have read the Comp Cam Thumpr with their tight 107° lobe separation angle. Have very low manifold vacuum at idle, as low as 8 to 10. I will be getting hold of a vacuum gauge today to see what I have. Do you know how low vacuum the Terminator can handle? Cheers.
                Last edited by knightrider; 01-06-2016, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• Blow1940
                  • Dec 2015

I think your low idle is caused by the throttle blades not open far enough. When you had the TPS not set correctly, the IAC was at 30%. This should of had the engine idle close to 2000 rpm, but it didn't. If a 100% IAC doesn't bring the idle up, then the throttle blades need opening. I would open them until the idle is too high, do a TPS AutoSet, then work backwards to get the right idle.

I would go back and start with a new Global Folder.

Regards, Luke

Comment

• knightrider
                    • Dec 2015

Yes, this is what I'm going to do next. I have the throttle about 1 1/2 turns out from seated already, but I will go further & work back. I need to stop it fouling the plugs so it can self-tune (Learn). Thanks.

Comment

• Blow1940
                      • Dec 2015

Your cam will make it a little harder to tune it, you will need to use a laptop to get it better, as you have low vac it will move the idle cell to a area that is richer, if you use the laptop you can change the map axis as you will only be using half the map axis that is in the system, this will make it better and will lean it out at the same time. it will also give you better resolution in the fuel map for the engine.

Regards, Luke

Comment

• Danny Cabral
                        Administrator
                        • Dec 2009

Do I or can I update my software as I bought this kit about 1 1/2 years ago?
                        It's probably V2 EFI software/ECU firmware. No need to update. The excessively rich AFR, may be due to the base calibration. See post #9.
                        Ensure you're using the latest EFI software & ECU firmware (Link); it has "Oxygen Sensor Control Updates" (Link - HEFI_1589.eep).

I think it's not liking the cam as I have read the Comp Cam Thumpr with their tight 107° lobe separation angle. Have very low manifold vacuum at idle, as low as 8 to 10.
                        What size camshaft is it (duration @ .050" lift)? How many lbs/hr of fuel is in the idle area of the Base Fuel Table?

Comment

• knightrider
                          • Dec 2015

Inlet 235 exh 249 Don't know how many lbs/hr of fuel are in the Base fuel table I will check with the next run. Was thinking if I change the target AFR TO 16 AT idle to see if the ecu could even get it that high I wouldn't leave it there just something to try Good or bad idea ? My first run was on STREET/STRIP than I tried Mild Street back now to Street/Strip as you suggested it is better here.Cheers
                          Last edited by knightrider; 01-06-2016, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Danny Cabral
                            Administrator
                            • Dec 2009

I wouldn't leave it there just something to try. Good or bad idea?
                            I would connect a laptop "Online" with the ECU, and manually tune the idle area.
                            http://forums.holley.com/showthread....8201#post68201 (Related Forum Thread - Read This!)

If you'd like to manually tune the Base Fuel Table (even while the engine is running), read below:
                            Left click & drag to select a group of cells, then use the CTRL & Arrow keys (▲►▼◄) to change the highlighted cell values.
                            The ▲ & ▼ arrow keys adjust the Base Fuel Table slowly (one tenth at a time). The ◄ & ► arrow keys adjust it rapidly.
                            Or you can left click & drag a group of highlighted cells, and right click "Offset Selected" to adjust the entire cell group.

Also, ensure the Base Fuel Table is smooth by viewing & blending the Fuel Graph. It's important to have a smooth Fuel Graph.
                            One aspect of viewing the Fuel Graph: It's better to zoom in, by highlighting segments of the Base Fuel Table (left click & drag), and click "Graph".
                            This method offers much greater detail. Looking at the entire "Fuel Graph" will almost always look smooth, because it's not as magnified.
                            TIP: When the Fuel Graph is smooth, click "Conversion" (VE% Conversion mode) and continue smoothing the general contour of the VE Fuel Graph.

Comment

• knightrider
                              • Dec 2015

OK thanks, will look into it. Can you use an IPAD? I see it's Windows based. Might just pay someone to tune it. Would like to get it driveable first.
                              Last edited by knightrider; 01-06-2016, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• CK & his '55 TBird
                                • Feb 2014

If you have to, just borrow a laptop and order a cable. The handheld won't help you.
                                It's pretty simple once you get past the thought of it all.
                                However, I'm still learning the system too, it gets easier as you go along.
                                I have a 107° cam too, and thought it might not have been happy with it either, but I found no issue with reversion, etc.
                                Once you do hook up the laptop simply, go into the Learn Table and press Transfer Learning To Base Fuel Table.
                                This will alter the Base Fuel Table to match your conditions, yet you will have to do this
                                a couple of times though taking the car out each time for a drive in varied conditions, etc.

I noticed it's an old XA Falcon, so you must be a fellow Aussie. I'm in Melbourne area, are you local?

Comment

Working...
                                X