Thread: Poor Quality Holley carb issues, porosity & flaking on metering block.

Thumbs down Poor Quality Holley carb issues, porosity & flaking on metering block.

I installed this carb new on a SBC about two yrs ago and it ran great for the first year and a half, then it started running differently. It wasn't erratic, at least not until the past month..then it really started running poorly. I took the carb off this weekend after buying a rebuild kit (which shouldn't be needed on such a new carb), nevertheless I needed to get the truck running well again.

Once I removed the fuel bowl it was obvious there was a manufacturing issue. There were pits and porosity throughout the bowl, and it was not due to poor fuel. The filters (yes, I run two) are clean and replaced often and I only purchase non ethanol fuel which is available in my area.

I then removed the primary metering block and while removing the gasket by hand (no screwdriver, putty knife, or other sharp object) and it removed easily from the carb. However when I removed the gasket from the block a portion of the block was stuck onto the gasket. The block also has porosity. The secondary side had nothing like this at all, neither in the bowl or on the plate. There are no other signs of porosity anywhere on the carb body. There also was not any signs of poor gas or contaminants.

I replaced the block with another (same number, switched over the PV and jets), and it once again runs great. I would like to know however if this would be covered by Holley. Obviously it's outside of the normal warranty - but this is clearly a mfg or supplier issue.

Heath
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 12-20-2015 at 06:20 PM.

Hello, Holley...anybody?

Contact Holley Tech Service (LINK).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I would call Holley ASAP, as this is a dangerous situation (you don't want a flake jamming the needle & seat open). The should take care of it.
    96 MUSTANG/6.0 LQ9/S475 T4/HOLLEY HP EFI/TH400/3.27

Thanks for the replies. I'll call them tomorrow, I was hoping to share it here for feedback from what others thought about it. Talking to them over the phone about it will be hard to describe, hopefully I can send them here or email the photos.

Is it just me, or does this look like a mfg issue? I have a dozen Holley carbs on my cars (yeah, I have a few), and have bought them for 30 years - never have I seen this.

There was a problem with some Holley carbs about 10 yrs ago, where there was a manufacturing issue or something with the zinc coating coming off. Looking at the picture of your metering block, I think it says "05" which would indicate 2005 I believe, which is around the time the issue was in play. Call them up, don't run that carb anymore.
    96 MUSTANG/6.0 LQ9/S475 T4/HOLLEY HP EFI/TH400/3.27

Quote Originally Posted by VINCE View Post
    There was a problem with some Holley carbs about 10 yrs ago, where there was a manufacturing issue or something with the zinc coating coming off.
    Yeah, that may have been the Volvo Penta marine carburetor recall (LINK), or the early Street Avenger corrosion issues.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks everyone. I tried calling Holley a few times, but their tech line hold time is insane! After 30 minutes I hung up. But I did fill out their Online Tech form and received an email yesterday. They told me to box it up and ship it to them, and a replacement will be sent out. Great service (once you reach them). I've never had any warranty or recall issues before, but it's nice to know they do take care of their customers.

Hi all. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it would appear that I'm having the exact same issue with our SA 670. Been on engine since 2006 when built by Speed 'O' Motive. Have this week had to replace a float bowl due to a leak, which on investigation showed flaking & pitting as well as small 'hills' in the metal both inside & outside the float bowl, and near the secondary fuel fitting where the leak was. Further inspection found that the primary metering block was in even worse condition, and was pretty much just crumbling apart. Does anyone now if this issue is still being dealt with at all? Many thanks, Gary
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170608_170130.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	2285

As the original poster did, you will need to call Holley Tech Service. They may or may not allow a claim to be made.