Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distributor Mod - Cam Sensor Stealth Ram

Default Distributor Mod - Cam Sensor Stealth Ram

I'm modifying a GM small cap distributor, stripping & adding a Hall-Effect cam sensor, and using a crank sensor and ferrous target. I plan to use a Cherry GS1007 sensor.
    The specs are:
    Operating temp -40°C to 257°F
    Supply voltage 0-24V
    Max input voltage 30V
    Supply current 2 mA type 6 mA max
    Output sink 20 mA max
    Air gap 1.5 mm
    Thread M12 x 1.0

Any other suggestions?

Avenger Stealth Ram, SBC.

I'm building a GM EFI type distributor that I've stripped, and want to install a Hall-Effect sensor using a ferrous target to act as a cam sensor. I'm looking at a threaded barrel sensor 12mm x 1mm x 1" with the following data:

Operating Temp. -40°C - 125°C
    Operating Voltage 4.5 - 24VDC
    Open collector output capable of 25 mA
    Target ferrous, 0.500" high - 0.100" wide - 0.150" deep
    Air gap .020"

Does this sound acceptable for the Avenger System?

I'm open to other suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Buehl View Post
    Does this sound acceptable for the Avenger System? I'm open to other suggestions.
    Yes, a geartooth Hall-Effect sensor (LINK) is compatible with Holley EFI.

Custom Hall-Effect sensors and/or shielded harnesses:
    1) The ECU already has the pull-up resistor for sinking output (open collector) sensors inside, so don't add anything.
    2) The ECU already has the shield (drain) wire connection/pin grounded inside, so don't ground it at the sensor end.
    http://www.newark.com/pdfs/techartic...haWire/USC.pdf (Shielded Wiring - look for "drain wire" on page 2 & 3.)
    Think of the shield wire as an antenna pointing to the sensor; it's only supposed to be grounded at the ECU end.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks Danny, I'll have more questions later.

Danny, are you using a ferrous or magnetic target? If ferrous, what Hall-Effect sensor are you using? I'm having trouble locating a 150°C Hall-Effect sensor.

Danny, are you using a ferrous or magnetic target?
    I only use Hall-Effect "geartooth" sensors, with ferrous steel targets. I never install magnets.

If ferrous, what Hall-Effect sensor are you using?
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....nk-Trigger-Kit (My Custom 60-2 Crank Trigger Kit)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....al-EFI-Upgrade (My DIS & Sequential EFI Upgrade)

I'm having trouble locating a 150°C Hall-Effect sensor.
    The Cherry GS100102 Hall-Effect crank sensor (12mm x 1.0, 125°C/257°F) doesn't have to withstand 150°C/302°F.
    The Cherry VN101504 Hall-Effect vane sensor should be, because it's contained inside a hot cam sync unit (LINK).
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks Danny for your input. Because of space limitations, I was unable to use the Cherry GS100102 Hall-Effect sensor because of the length, and substituted a Cherry GS100701. This engine will go in a '34 Ford street rod with lots of hood vents. The distributor body has two vents, and I will test the post run heat soak temperature that most times appears to be higher after sitting. This along with wishful thinking and a prayer might get my customer by. We will test.

Is there an alternative to using an MSD 6AL(2) using a cam & crank sensor for sequential EFI and ECU controlled ignition? My concern is higher voltage than necessary, and cross-firing with the "Small Cap" Distributor. Not looking for a science project, but reliability is always enhanced through simplicity. I have attached a model of the distributor mod (first time try at attachments, hope it worked). The Hall-Effect sensor target is phased at 195° BTDC #1 cylinder. Planning on shielding the sensor leads, and interfacing with the 10 pin Delphi connector in the main harness. I'm sure that I'll have more questions as I go along. Thanks again for your input.

Is there an alternative to using an MSD 6AL(2) using a cam & crank sensor for sequential EFI and ECU controlled ignition? My concern is higher voltage than necessary, and cross-firing with the "Small Cap" Distributor.
    Other than converting to a distributorless ignition system, no (LINK). I always recommend using a CD ignition box with distributor type ignition systems. Here's why: LINK. As you know, sequential EFI always requires a cam sync sensor.

Where can I find data that tells me what the connector interface will need to be for the cam/crank to the main harness? My distributor mod will require some harness building, and I plan on using Delphi 150 connectors to interface with the main harness. Because at this time, I do not have access to the Stealth Ram main harness. I assume that the main harness ignition (cam & crank sensor) interface is utilizing a Delphi 150 10-pin connector. Will I need a male or female connector to interface with the main harness? I'm familiar with the pin layout that includes the shields, and plan to use shielded conductors to interface with the cam & crank hall sensors. Thanks again for you help.

Where can I find data that tells me what the connector interface will need to be for the cam/crank to the main harness?
    The Hall-Effect crank & cam sensors are wired as shown in the Holley EFI Wiring Manual:
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Figure 11/12, Page 20/21)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....m-Sensor-Setup (Crank & Cam Sensor Setup)

I assume that the main harness ignition (cam & crank sensor) interface is utilizing a Delphi 150 10-pin connector. Will I need a male or female connector to interface with the main harness?
    Yes, the Ignition Connector is a ten cavity Delphi Metri-Pack 150 Series female black plastic connector:
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Figure 26 & 27, Page 39 & 40)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....als-Holley-EFI (Holley EFI Connectors & Terminals)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast