Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remote Tuning

Default Remote Tuning

Any suggestions who can do a little remote tuning for me to get my idle right? I have a surging idle that I don't know what to do with. Otherwise it runs great. Thanks, Vince.
    96 MUSTANG/6.0 LQ9/S475 T4/HOLLEY HP EFI/TH400/3.27

"TurboNova" (Brian @ TheEFIStore.com), "64duece" (Dennis @ MooreRacecraft.com), "2stroke" & "LosLS2"
    on the YellowBullet.com Electrical Forum offer Holley EFI base calibration and/or remote tuning services.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

2stroke helped me get mine in order. After I watched him work it, I can easily do it myself next time.

I do it sometimes...but only when our internet is working fast enough, or when I'm not trying to get a bunch of cars ready for a race, or for a track rental.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

Can the remote tune guys fix a surging idle without really seeing what the engine is doing? How would you hear/feel what the thing is doing adequately?

In the hands of a skilled tuner, even just a few datalogs will do the trick for seeing what is wrong.

There are really only a few things that cause surging idle.
    Air/fuel issue, wrong base spark, not enough or too much idle air.
    And usually the IAC will take care of the idle air issue (if it's setup correctly).
    -Scott
    Low 8 Second Street Car

I've done it. Still looking for a happy replacement for LogMeIn though.

Team Viewer. Much better than Log Me In.
    -Scott
    Low 8 Second Street Car

Here's the situation. I had a 5.3L with a 216°/220° cam that surged also, but I dealt with it. Then installed a 6.0 with a 218°/223° cam, and the surging idle has been present and worse since. This is what I've tried and no changes: unplugged IAC, raised/lowered base timing & AFR, changed coils, P Term Idle Spark, different idle speeds, smoothed fuel table, started with a new fuel table & relearned. Checked for vacuum leaks.

Car otherwise runs perfect - just a pesky idle. Cam degreed in good. Going to try another MAP sensor, as the Holley one I have (3 bar "brick" style) actually fell apart (the housing), but the wires were all intact, and the unit held vacuum, so I glued it back together.

One other thing I noticed, is the throttle screw seems to be run in more than usual. Usually they are only run in a little bit, but I figured the bigger cam needed more throttle opening.

Quote Originally Posted by VINCE View Post
    One other thing I noticed, is the throttle screw seems to be run in more than usual. Usually they are only run in a little bit, but I figured the bigger cam needed more throttle opening.
    The idle speed screw adjustment pertains to the IAC Position at hot idle, not the camshaft size.
    Adjust the idle speed screw on throttle body, to achieve an IAC Position of about 2% at hot idle.
    Remember to perform another TPS AutoSet, whenever you adjust the idle speed screw on the throttle body.
    In the Idle ICF, the "Target Idle Speed (RPM)" must be programmed to the desired RPM speed at hot idle.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....neral-IAC-Info (General IAC Information - Read "IAC NOTES")

This is what I've tried and no changes: unplugged IAC, raised/lowered base timing & AFR, changed coils, P Term Idle Spark, different idle speeds, smoothed fuel table, started with a new fuel table & relearned. Checked for vacuum leaks.
    Since this is a forced induction application, you probably lost some MAP kPa resolution in the idle area. You may need to reconfigure the MAP kPa axis (scale) for a little more resolution in the idle area. Then ensure the Fuel Graph is smooth in the idle area.

Car otherwise runs perfect - just a pesky idle. Cam degreed in good. Going to try another MAP sensor, as the Holley one I have (3 bar "brick" style) actually fell apart (the housing), but the wires were all intact, and the unit held vacuum, so I glued it back together.
    Yes, ensure the EFI system components are in serviceable condition.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast