Thread: Wiring help?

Default Wiring help?

Hi there. I'm sure this question has come up before, but I can't seem to find it across the threads. I have all of my wiring figured out now except for one lead. I'm running the 558-420 Auxiliary I/O Harness, giving me 4 extra Inputs & 1 Output. Now, I need another ground signal Output to control my TCC Lockup, and I would rather not run a relay just to send ground. However, the only Output I have available is B11 which is an H,P+ Output. Can this output be changed to supply ground? Or is there another unused pin I can use/configure or change one of my new inputs to an output? A6, A15, A20, A21, A27, A29 & B4, B5, B6, B7, B15, B16, B17, B18, B21, B22, B23, B24 all are unused not populated.

Greatly appreciate it, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rob357mag View Post
    However, the only Output I have available is B11 which is an H,P+ Output. Can this output be changed to supply ground?
    No, you can't change the function of Input/Output pins; they're hard-coded in the ECU.
    However, you can change the TCC Lockup "Output Type" to +12V or Ground, in the Inputs/Outputs screen (System ICF).

Or is there another unused pin I can use/configure or change one of my new Inputs to an Output?
    No, you can't change the function of Input/Output pins; they're hard-coded in the ECU.

A6, A15, A20, A21, A27, A29 & B4, B5, B6, B7, B15, B16, B17, B18, B21, B22, B23, B24 all are unused not populated.
    No, all those ECU pins serve different purposes, and they're not for Inputs/Outputs.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Section 2.1 Pin-Out, Page 6)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK, let me get this straight. Pin B11 is hard-coded to only supply +12V or +12V PWM, and can not be changed. However, if I tell pin B11 to control TCC Lockup, then I can also tell it to supply a ground signal? This seems to be a contradiction? Do you mean that the function of pin B11, is to be an Output, and that can not be changed, but what signal it provides (I.E. Ground) can?

Thanks Danny, you're the man!!! Bob

OK, let me get this straight. Pin B11 is hard-coded to only supply +12V or +12V PWM, and can not be changed.
    Correct, pin B11 is only an Output, and only +12V or +12V PWM.

However, if I tell pin B11 to control TCC Lockup, then I can also tell it to supply a ground signal?
    No, if you select a Ground "Output Type" in the Inputs/Outputs screen (System ICF), then you can't use Output pin B11 (because it's only a +12V pin).

This seems to be a contradiction?
    No, your confusing the "Output Type" choice in the Inputs/Outputs screen (System ICF), with the fixed Pin Map (hard-coded).

Do you mean that the function of pin B11, is to be an Output, and that can not be changed, but what signal it provides (I.E. Ground) can?
    No, pin B11 is only an Output, and only +12V or +12V PWM.
    The Terminator/HP ECU only has two high side Outputs (+12V switched, PWM+), two low side Outputs (Ground switched, PWM−), and four Multi-Inputs.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...useanddiff.pdf (Terminator/HP & Dominator ECU Differences - See "Hardware")
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks Danny, I understand now, so I must run a relay to use pin B11 to supply a ground signal.

If you would, I have another question regarding the Holley 553-108 3.5" LCD I'm permanently installing. What is this CAN adapter harness 271R1075A used for? Doesn't the LCD get power & ground from the ECU? And there's no way of hooking this adapter harness up, without loosing the high/low signal to the ECU, at least with the harnesses provided. I assume this harness is used for some other application or to bench the LCD?

Thanks, Bob

If you would, I have another question regarding the Holley 553-108 3.5" LCD I'm permanently installing. What is this CAN adapter harness 271R1075A used for?
    The 3.5" LCD Touchscreen communicates with the ECU via CAN Bus. It won't work without it.

Doesn't the LCD get power & ground from the ECU?
    Read page 5 of the instruction manual:
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10751rev1.pdf (Holley 553-108 3.5" LCD Touchscreen Instruction Manual)

Yes, I understand how a CAN Bus works. What I don't understand is what this extra harness is for. I should only need the one CAN Bus harness (4 pin), going from ECU harness to LCD, correct? The ECU supplies the +12V & Ground to operate the display. So what's this other harness for; the one that says it needs to be hard wired to +12V Switched & Ground (white & black wire)? In addition to these two leads, it has a female four pin CAN to 3 pin weather pack (where the two high/low leads reside).

Thanks, Bob

What I don't understand is what this extra harness is for. I should only need the one CAN Bus harness (4 pin), going from ECU harness to LCD, correct?
    The CAN Bus is a 2-wire (orange) harness.

The ECU supplies the +12V & Ground to operate the display.
    No, that's what the black (Ground) & white (Switched +12V) wires are for.

Never mind, I'll just hook up the 4-wire CAN Bus extension harness from the ECU to the display. I know it will work, as that's exactly how the handheld unit works on a Terminator harness.

As for the other mystery harness with the Delphi PA66 connector (2 pin), that goes to nothing? I just pulled up the schematic for the HP MPFI main harness, and found that this harness only has a 2-wire CAN connector (not 4-wire, like on the Terminator). So obviously, this adapter harness is intended for this system.

Thanks anyway Danny, have a good weekend.

Never mind, I'll just hook up the 4-wire CAN Bus extension harness from the ECU to the display. I know it will work, as that's exactly how the handheld unit works on a Terminator harness.
    OK, if your Terminator already uses the new style 4-wire harness (2 CAN Bus wires & 2 power wires), then that should work.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10763.pdf (Holley New Style 4-Wire CAN Bus/Power Harness)

As for the other mystery harness with the Delphi PA66 connector (2 pin), that goes to nothing?
    That's for non-Terminator applications with +12V & Ground not incorporated into the main harness.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10811.pdf (Holley 558-430 CAN Bus Adapter/Power Harness)

I just pulled up the schematic for the HP MPFI main harness, and found that this harness only has a 2-wire CAN connector (not 4-wire, like on the Terminator). So obviously, this adapter harness is intended for this system.
    Yes. However, the CAN Bus is always only two orange wires.