Thread: Large Cap HEI Distributor

Default Large Cap HEI Distributor

Hi Danny! I have the Holley 550-400 4BBL TBI System.
    I bought the ignition adapter harness for my GM HEI distributor to control the timing.
    But now I found out it's for the small cap HEI. I have a large cap Distributor on my 1982 Trans Am.
    I've also had the 4 pin connector to the ECU.

I found a wiring schematic on the internet and I wanted to wire it directly.
    Can you tell me what color of the Holley adapter goes to my connector?
    Here's a picture of the schematic. Thanks a lot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0611.jpg 
Views:	985 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	1363

Quote Originally Posted by noone View Post
    I bought the ignition adapter harness for my GM HEI distributor to control the timing.
    But now I found out it's for the small cap HEI. I have a large cap Distributor on my 1982 Trans Am.
    The instruction manual specifically states using a GM small cap HEI computer controlled distributor, and how to wire it:
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10552rev.pdf (Holley Avenger EFI Manual - See Page 19, 21 & 22)
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10653rev9.pdf (Holley Terminator EFI Manual - See Page 14, 16 & 17)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....2893#post52893 (Additional Information)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....8874#post28874 (Additional Information)

You have an EST (Electronic Spark Timing) Distributor (C.C.C. Computer Command Control), with the 7-pin EST ignition module (LINK).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK, thank you! I'm not so good in English, please help me.
    These are the ignition input from the GM 7-pin module.
    With a GM HEI 7-pin (and 8-pin modules), the ignition module wires are:
    * Tach signal is a purple/white wire [pin R].
    * Advance control signal is a white wire [pin E].
    * Override/Bypass (Cranking) signal is a tan/black wire [pin B].
    * Ground is a black/red wire [grounded to distributor case].

Now I have the Holley connector with the four colors.
    The ground signal is black, that's the same.
    What's the EST/Spout Out?
    Is the crank signal the Override/Bypass?
    Then I have the cam input. I believe it's the tach signal?
    Hope you know it!!! Thanks a lot. Martin

OK, thank you! I'm not so good in English, please help me.
    That's OK, I'm editing your posts for you.

The ground signal is black, that's the same.
    Yes, this is where the black/red wire connects to.

What's the EST/Spout Out?
    That's the Electronic Spark Timing Output.
    This is where the white wire connects to.

Is the crank signal the Override/Bypass?
    No, the Crank Input is what the distributor transmits to the ECU.
    This is where your purple/white wire connects to.

Then I have the Cam Input. I believe it's the tach signal?
    No, the Cam Input is the Bypass Out (when a non-cam sync distributor is used).
    Some ignition harnesses have a connector on this wire to check base timing sync.
    This is where the tan/black wire connects to.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Hi Danny. Thanks for all your help! I'll try connecting it like that.
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 09-08-2017 at 03:02 AM.

Hi Danny! Thanks for all your help! I'll try connecting it like that.
    You're welcome. This how to connect the four external wires to the Holley EFI Ignition Connector:

Holley EFI ............ GM Large Cap .... Timing
    Ignition Adapter ... EST Distributor ... Function
    Black .................... Black/Red ........... Ground
    Tan/Black .............. Tan/Black ............ Ignition Bypass
    Yellow/Black ........... Purple/White ....... Crank Pulse Input
    Blue/White ............. White ................ EST/Spout Output

FYI: One of the four externally routed wires is the ground, and it attaches to a
    mounting eyelet hole, not to one of the 7-pin ignition module terminals (LINK).

FYI: The 8-pin HEI module is essentially the same as the 7-pin HEI module, except for the additional ground wire
    (G). According to the second link below, the 7-pin and 8-pin HEI modules are wired the same as color coded (LINK).