Thread: Commander 950 TBI Systems

Default Commander 950 TBI Systems

I may have the chance of buying a complete system for under $1000. Was wondering if they are worthwhile or am I wasting my money? Or should I go with the Terminator for double the money? TIA.

The Commander 950 does not have any self-tuning capability. The problem is, the C950 requires you to "know how to tune" the Fuel Map, which is 80% of the work. And because of this, you'll want an ECU integrated wideband O2 sensor for closed loop fuel control (to inform you of which direction to tune and how much).

You must be honest here. If you don't know how to tune, you really need the Terminator EFI.
    It's not an easy task with the C950, and most likely, not worth the grief or the money saved.
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel..._harness_kits/ (HP EFI ECU & Harness Upgrade Kits)
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...erminator_efi/ (Holley Terminator EFI Kits)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Can an LM-1 WBO2 be incorporated into this system, even if firmware haven't been upgraded to the Pro?

Personally, I feel that a grand is too much for a used system, especially if it has the old style injectors. You're dealing with wear problems, and whatever condition the fuel pump might be. I ran one of these, paid I think $350 US for it, then ended up upgrading to the Holley HP computer later on. (I hope to later convert to multi-port.)

There's a guy running around the internet, developed a piggyback program to help with self learning. "Tazman" or something. I may still have his contact info. At the time, he was only charging something like 15 dollars for the software.

Quote Originally Posted by 2rods View Post
    Can an LM-1 WBO2 be incorporated into this system, even if firmware haven't been upgraded to the Pro?
    Yes, program the C950 oxygen sensor 'Closed Loop Parameters' for using an Innovate LC-1 wideband sensor/controller.
    However, the LC-1 parameters in the Innovate LM Programmer software need to be programmed correctly.
    Use this link to set the LM Programmer values:
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/r...mmander950.pdf (C950 application note)
    Furthermore, click on the advanced button for the 'Advanced Analog Out Settings':
    The 'Response Speed' needs to be changed to 1/12 sec. 'Instant' is way too fast for C950 ECU integration.
    The 'Warmup Output' and 'Output at Error Cond.' needs to be set at 2.5 volts
    (or whatever your corresponding A/F ratio voltage at idle-see graph in above C950 application note).
    The 'High Impedance' setting is only for simulating a narrowband oxygen sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by 440roadrunner View Post
    There's a guy running around the internet, developed a piggyback program to help with self learning. "Tazman" or something.
    The one I remember, that most users claimed worked well, is Tom Zalenski's C950 Auto Tune program.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks for the info Danny.

Yes, I finally realized $1000 is too much to pay. May be able to get for $500 or less, but think I may look for an Avenger or Terminator EFI system. I want something modern.

May be able to get for $500 or less, but think I may look for an Avenger or Terminator EFI system. I want something modern.
    Good decision. If you don't know how to tune an EFI Fuel Table, you really don't want the Commander 950. You need the Terminator EFI.

We know how to tune. 7 second Mustang, just want something without all the BS, and something modern & up to date with the times.

What happened to Doug F? Hasn't been around for years. Did you take over for him Danny?
    Last edited by 2rods; 09-24-2015 at 03:30 PM.

We know how to tune. 7 second Mustang...
    That doesn't mean you know how to tune a Commander 950 EFI system.

What happened to Doug F? Hasn't been around for years.
    Doug Flynn is the Chief EFI Engineer at Holley Performance Products. He doesn't have the time for forums.