Thread: Solenoid Source Pressure Settings

Default Solenoid Source Pressure Settings

I'm setting up my boost controller on my Holley. What are you guys setting your Solenoid Source Pressure setting on? I'm running two Holley 5 bar pressure sensors; one as a Source Pressure, and one on top of the Dome Pressure of the wastegate. I'm running two solenoids. I have it set as Source Pressure now. Is this correct or should it be on Fixed?

Solenoid Source Pressure:
    Compressor should be used if you have a line coming directly off the turbo or the manifold to the solenoids.
    Fixed is for when you have an external pressure source like CO2 or compressed air.
    Measured is for when you have a sensor actually measuring the source/pressure going to the solenoids.
    And if you measure it with a sensor, it does not matter where the actual source comes from.

We find that boost control works the best when you have around 60-100 psi of pressure going into the solenoids (Fixed & Measured modes).
    And if you use the turbo as the actual source, then you get what you get, since you can only have the pressure the turbo can put out.

The Dome Pressure sensor needs to be a 0-100 psi sensor or a 0-60 psi sensor at the minimum (not a 1 bar - 5 bar MAP sensor).
    You don't want a sensor that measures both boost & vacuum for dome pressure.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

So by me using a 5 bar Holley MAP sensor on my Dome & Source Pressure, how is this affecting my setup? I'm using part number Holley 554-108.

You can use a 5 bar MAP sensor, as long as you don't need more than 58 psi of Dome Pressure. 5 bar MAP sensor reads 14.5 psi of vacuum & 58 psi of positive pressure. It also may take more playing with to get the zero offset correct. You cannot use a 1 bar MAP sensor for anything boost related (except for maybe crankcase vacuum), as it's designed to read vacuum, not pressure.
    -Scott
    Low 8 Second Street Car

My problem is my car will hit target boost of 15 psi the drops, and holds at 5.5 psi. Does someone have a diagram of dual solenoids with a dome pressure, and source pressure sensor diagram?

There are many factors as to why your boost does that. You may have it plumbed correctly, but just have boost control settings incorrect.

What are you using as your solenoid pressure source? The turbos? CO2? Compressed air?
    What is your boost when you are just using the wastegate spring? (5.5 psi?)
    Are you using Dome Pressure Only, or are you trying to use MAP & Dome Pressure?
    You can't use MAP & Dome Pressure until you have tuned and plotted data from Dome Pressure Only mode.
    And in Dome Pressure Only mode, your target pressures should be in dome pressure (not manifold pressure).

Take a few screen shots or your software settings in the Boost section, and post pictures, so we can make sure you have the correct settings to begin with.
    Last edited by S2H; 07-22-2015 at 11:27 PM.
    -Scott
    Low 8 Second Street Car

Yes, I have it on Dome Pressure Only. I'm using the turbo for the Solenoid Source Pressure, and my target pressure is in Dome Pressure. I will take some pics. Thanks for your help.

If you have a CO2 input pressure sensor, how do you configure it into the system? I see you can choose "Measured", but I see nowhere in the boost configuration where it asks for the input for CO2 measured pressure.

You need to create a source in the I/O ICF. After doing that, when you select "Measured" in the setup, there will be a drop down box with the ability to select the source you created.

Thank you!