Thread: 850 Double Pumper Problem

Default 850 Double Pumper Problem

Just received my 468 with a Holley 850 DP. Motor was broken in on the dyno with the carb, and the only change made were the jets before it was shipped. The builder is in CO and I'm in MN. I have not been able to get the thing to run. The secondaries squirt enough fuel for fire up and then it dies. I noticed the primaries were squirting nothing but air! Any ideas as to why fuel would be good through secondaries, but nothing through primaries? Thank you for any ideas.

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Dicey58 View Post
    Just received my 468 with a Holley 850 DP. Motor was broken in on the dyno with the carb, and the only change made were the jets before it was shipped. The builder is in CO and I'm in MN. I have not been able to get the thing to run. The secondaries squirt enough fuel for fire up and then it dies. I noticed the primaries were squirting nothing but air! Any ideas as to why fuel would be good through secondaries, but nothing through primaries? Thank you for any ideas.
    Are you sure you got fuel in the front bowl. I'm not quite sure how you could get fuel to the rear bowl, and not the front bowl, using a fuel log. Check the fuel log and make sure fuel comes out at both feeds. Need to open the site plug on the bowl. Check for fuel. If you got fuel there, then there's an issue with the diaphragm or passages for the front bowl accelerator pump. Something simple has to be going on if this is a new motor & carburetor.
    Last edited by 69cam; 08-11-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks for the reply. I will see if there's proper flow there. I did pull the bowl, and I'm pretty sure there hadn't been any fuel in there. If there was full fuel pressure, is there anything that could be blocking fuel from getting into the bowl? I'll do as you say, and check those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicey58 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I will see if there's proper flow there. I did pull the bowl, and I'm pretty sure there hadn't been any fuel in there. If there was full fuel pressure, is there anything that could be blocking fuel from getting into the bowl? I'll do as you say, and check those things.
    Well keep in mind, fuel is metered into the bowl by the needle & seat assembly, connected to the float. If the needle somehow got hung up, it wouldn't allow fuel to enter the bowl, due to the fact it thinks the bowl is full of fuel already.