Thread: Avenger EFI Problems

Default Avenger EFI Problems

I have an Avenger EFI which was installed by a local shop four years ago on my '67 Camaro SS, 388". They have never been able get it tuned properly. It would run so-so for a while and then go to crap. For a while the computer would just shut off, and I'd have to disconnect the battery and reset it. I would take them the car in April, so they could have it running by summer, and for two years got it back at the end of August without any luck. They finally gave up, and told me to have fun with it.
    The issue now is that the back two injectors are not delivering fuel at idle. I have swapped them from front to back, and the injectors work fine just not in the rear position. I have redone all the grounds and have grounded from the battery to the engine, engine to the frame, engine to the body, battery to the body and battery to the frame. I also have direct grounds to the battery at every ground hookup for the EFI system, except for the fuel pump ground.
    I have replaced the alternator, as it was charging at 11.5 volts, and is now charging at 14 - 17 volts.
    I have checked all the wiring hook-ups for correctness and a good connection.
    I have a ground signal on all four injectors, and also have 14.35 volts at each injector with the engine running.
    Still only front injectors spraying. (The driver's rear sprays a little if you increase RPM to about 4000).
    My handheld also does not work. I have power & ground to the handheld, and power on both signal wires with the key on.
    Does anybody have an idea why the rear injectors don't spray, and the handheld doesn't light up.
    I want to try to tune the system myself, but can't figure out how with just a laptop. I think I need the handheld for the initial setup.
    Last edited by Lphfh; 06-22-2015 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lphfh View Post
    I have replaced the alternator, as it was charging at 11.5 volts, and is now charging at 14 - 17 volts.
    Charging over 14.5 volts is too much.

I have a ground signal on all four injectors, and also have 14.35 volts at each injector with the engine running.
    Still only front injectors spraying. (The driver's rear sprays a little if you increase RPM to about 4000).
    If there's 14 volts and a ground pulse on all four injectors, the rear injectors are defective or clogged with debris.

My handheld also does not work. I have power & ground to the handheld, and power on both signal wires with the key on.
    You'll have to contact Holley Tech Service (Link) about the inoperative handheld controller.

I want to try to tune the system myself, but can't figure out how with just a laptop. I think I need the handheld for the initial setup.
    The Avenger EFI can be completely setup & tuned with a laptop computer. Download the Holley V2 EFI software to your laptop (Link), open the software with USB cable (Link) connected, click on "USB Link" to go "Online" with the ECU, and select "Get From ECU".
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (EFI Software/ECU Firmware Info)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

3. Default

Is this a TBI system? My Avenger TBI doesn't fire the rear injectors at all, until the secondaries open. This can be preset in the laptop software. In my case it's at 36%.

Quote Originally Posted by robertodonnell View Post
    My Avenger TBI doesn't fire the rear injectors at all, until the secondaries open. This can be preset in the laptop software. In my case it's at 36%.
    I thought about that too, but he stated he had 14.35 volts and a ground pulse "on all four injectors".
    So it seems his TBI unit has a 1:1 throttle linkage (as opposed to a progressive throttle linkage).
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

5. Default

Yes, true. I did read that, but it didn't register.

Lphfh, what TBI unit are you running? As far as I understand, all Avenger units are progressive.

My handheld gave up a while ago, and it's probably for the best. Once you've been using the software on the PC, you'll understand the shortcomings of the handheld.

You don't need the handheld for setup. If the system is already running with a loaded tune on your ECU, you can just connect a laptop with the the Holley EFI software to your ECU via the USB connector. When you click the USB Link button on the top toolbar, it will download the tune (Global Folders) to your PC, which you can save and go from there. But with that said, it would seem you have a greater problem to resolve if the handheld is inoperative.

I'm sure if you email Holley Tech Support with your ECU/TB details, and the type of engine you are running, they can email you the correct Global Folder to get you started. They've helped me in the past in a similar way. With that said, it will actually be on the Micro SD card which is plugged into the side of your handheld, you just need to know which one it is.

With that said, you must have a tune of sorts if the car is running, so connecting it to a laptop would be a good start.

When you had the shop install the system, was the car running? What are you using as engine speed sensor, distributor?

If your early style (Link) Terminator handheld controller is giving you problems, purchase the new style (Link) instead. It's not too expensive, and it's much better!

Default Update on Avenger EFI Problems

Here are the details about the car:
    350 block 4 bolt main
    400 forged crank
    10:1 compression ratio
    Brodix aluminum heads
    Comp Cams XR288HR
    Holley Avenger EFI #550-402 900 CFM 85 lb/hr injectors
    MSD 6A Spark Control #6200
    MSD Pro Billet Distributor #85561
    MSD Coil Blaster 2 #8202
    Holley Pro-Injection MPFI intake manifold (injector holes are plugged)
    700R4 with 2000 rpm stall converter
    12 bolt posi with 373 gears

I had my son (computer expert) update my firmware & software.
    I guessed the on the last choice of base setup from the Global Folder files.

Car is running and laptop says it is Learning. So far seems to run OK. And yes, it is progressive, and rear injectors are working now.

Main problem now, is when shifting from 1st to 2nd (manually) at about 6000 RPM it bogs down, unless I lift on the throttle and then accelerate. Anybody know what to adjust for this?

I'm going to send Holley the vehicle info like you suggested, and will ask them to send me a baseline setup. Thanks for all your help.

Main problem now, is when shifting from 1st to 2nd (manually) at about 6000 RPM it bogs down, unless I lift on the throttle and then accelerate. Anybody know what to adjust for this?
    Base Fuel Table tuning; Learning is probably passing over this area too quickly to self-tune it. Look where the live cursor moves to when this happens. Determine if it "bogs down" because it's too lean or too rich. You can also record & review a datalog of this occurrence.