Thread: Adding Chrysler IAC To 900 CFM 4D Throttle Body

Default Adding Chrysler IAC To 900 CFM 4D Throttle Body

Hey guys. New here. I have a really old 4D Throttle Body and I noticed that it has the boss for the IAC, it's just not machined.
    Does anyone know if a hobbyist has tried to machine, drill & tap this boss to accept the IAC that is on later model throttle bodies?

Thanks, Jereme

Quote Originally Posted by redjet View Post
    Does anyone know if a hobbyist has tried to machine, drill & tap this boss to accept the IAC that is on later model throttle bodies?
    I've never heard of someone machining the entire IAC motor mounting & air passage into the throttle body.
    If your throttle body doesn't have an IAC mounting provision, just use a remote IAC motor/valve assembly. There are plenty available.

If your EFI harness is "plug & play" for it, I'd purchase a remote IAC assembly that uses the GM or Chrysler 4-wire stepper type motor.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....=1186#post1186 (Additional Information)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks Danny! I was looking as some similar options like this one, do you have any thoughts?
    http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/c...alve-p-69.html
    I have also looked at the Commander & Avenger throttle bodies to see where the passages are, on both the atmosphere side & manifold side. Frankly, it looks easy to screw up, but not really too tough to drill the passages. The real challenge would be getting the pintle to seal, and what grade if machined finish would be required. Did the OEMs machine that surface or just deburr?

Quote Originally Posted by redjet View Post
    Thanks Danny! I was looking as some similar options like this one, do you have any thoughts?
    http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/c...alve-p-69.html
    I like that remote IAC motor/valve assembly. If your ECU & harness is IAC motor compatible, that will work fine.

I have also looked at the Commander & Avenger throttle bodies to see where the passages are, on both the atmosphere side & manifold side. Frankly, it looks easy to screw up, but not really too tough to drill the passages. The real challenge would be getting the pintle to seal, and what grade if machined finish would be required. Did the OEMs machine that surface or just deburr?
    Again, I don't know anything about machining the IAC motor provisions.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks for the response!
    I have received the IAC unit that I ordered, and I'm waiting on the IAC valve. I'm going to take a run at attempting to make the IAC work with the existing throttle body. After all, we're hot rodders. Let's try to work with what we have. I will take pictures and post them, for better or worse.